HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Boat in Saltwater

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aluminum Boat in Saltwater

Looking to buy a new boat. The boat will be 14'-16' jon boat. Fish by myself. I've owned one aluminum boat and 4 fiberglass boats in my life. Most of my fishing will be in freshwater lakes with 10 HP restriction. I do live very close to saltwater and from time to time I'll go saltwater. My question is should I worry about the saltwater on a aluminum boat ? Probably be (90-95% freshwater, 5-10% saltwater. Freshwater just bring the boat home and park it. Saltwater i'll spray it with a hose and call it something.Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. There are lots of multimillion dollar aluminum yatchs circling the globe, much less the thousands of smaller aluminum boats.
    Likes JET4 LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would do is flush the motor after salt water use
    Likes JET4, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

No problem at all, Like Sinkermaker said flush out the motor, after every salt water use!

Post Thanks / Like

Flush the motor and if you wire it or buy one with wiring in it, make sure it is marine rated. It has to be tinned otherwise with saltwater exposure you will have electrical problems in no time flat with regular copper stranded. That includes the trailer.
    Likes stormcloud, JET4, skeetbum, sinkermaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I heard if it's a riveted aluminum boat you should not put it in salt. Any truth to that guys?
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    I heard if it's a riveted aluminum boat you should not put it in salt. Any truth to that guys?
    Excellent question, I haven't heard that. Would love to know that.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a aircraft mechanic in the Navy...I was in a P3 squadron...our mission was anti submarine patrol....we flew low over the ocean....salt was in the air......The vanes and stators in the turbo prop jet engines had to be checked regularly for corrosion caused by salt...The air frame and fuselodge skin was all aluminum and the skin was rivited on with thousands of aluminum rivits...the air craft was painted...but corrosion from salt around all those rivits kept the aviation metal smiths constantly busy sanding, replaceing rivits, and touch up painting.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know next time I go fishing with an aluminum turbo prop riveted airplane.

J/K - Great info. Salt is a corrosive, bad on just about everything. I'm also sure planes have a much tighter tolerance so I guess we still need to know if a riveted boat gonna sink! lol

Thank you for your service.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum forms its own impenetrable protective oxide layer as soon as it is exposed preventing further corrosion. I suspect the constant dynamic motion between the rivets and the hull grinding off this oxide layer between the two actually acts as a sort of fast acting corrosion. Layer turns to oxide, gets ground off, has to form another layer of oxide, gets ground off, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast