HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite rod repair - method

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite rod repair - method

I wish I knew back then what I know works now to repair a rod without sacrificing action or length. I've posted this before, but few were interested. In any case here is the method.

Materials needed:

plastic wire zip ties

wire cutters (to snip of the ties)

thin diameter braid (line) of 15# test or less

super glue

scissors

Note: Works best when the break is anywhere 1/3 of the length toward the tip. It will work with the break half way down but the action is changed a bit.

Method:
    1. Put some superglue on one rod blank end - 1" is enough - where the ends ride on tip of one another.
    2. Align the broken ends shotgun style with the end blank on top of the blank that connects to the handle and tighten them together using two zip ties, making sure the guides are aligned. Let dry.
    3. Super glue the top and bottom of the two blanks.
    4. Wrap the blanks between the zip ties with braided line, making the turns close to one another the same way you do when attaching a new line guide.
    5. Take the wire cutters and snip off the zip ties.
    6. After super gluing the blank tips where the two zip ties were, wind braided line around the blank ends to prevent blank separation when fighting a fish.

Braid holds the overlapping ends in line and the renewed rod is as good as new. I found both parts of a $100 Pleuger rod in a garbage can at a launch site. After 2 years, it still catches fish - some over 4lbs.

Thanks EWS thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No offense but as a rod builder, that makes me ill. If it pleases you, all is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imajigger2 View Post
    No offense but as a rod builder, that makes me ill. If it pleases you, all is good.
    What's your repair technique?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used proper diameter pcs of 4 to 6 inches long cut from an old rod, and epoxied inside where the break is.
    About half the length in each of the pcs. and depending on where the break is it dosent affect the action.
    Best to trim the broken ends slightly with a Dremel tool to eliminate any ragged ends.
    Break location might make it a wasted effort.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the proper size piece of fiberglass rod blank that fits 2 inches either side of the break. Unless the break was badly shattered i would not trim it down. Using epoxy paste glue, i would glue the pieces up and let dry overnite. I would then overwrap the area with size A thread and apply finish. I have done many like this for people. My own rods break and they go to scrap, it is just personal preference for me. I think i've only broken 2 of my own rods in the last 30 years. I have been blessed with the skill to craft rods so i take a lot of pride in my rods not only for function but looks also. Nothing wrong if his method works for him, just not for me. Lots of people take pride in coming up with solutions as this gentlemen did, so kudo's to him.
    Likes EWS, silverside, FIN, wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have broken 3 of my JDM rods.......I just ordered the top section and they are back in service. One can do the same with some USA companies......I replaced top section on a Phenix Elixir rod and gave it to my son. I’m with imajigger......if it works and folks are happy with that repair that is fine. If one of mine breaks and I can’t replace the top section....if that is what broke......then in the garbage it goes and I purchase another one just like it if I liked it that much. I have never broken a rod on a fish...not saying someone hasn’t.....but that is rare to happen.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have broke em on the water and cut rod back to next guide to finish day if still serviceable. Back at ramp pull reel off and pitch rod in dumpster. Rarely ever get stuck needing to do that as I generally have several rods along on each trip.

Post Thanks / Like

The overwrapping would be a good idea, and no doubt would add strength to the hollow ends at the break.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case there are so many rods in the garage that if it happens and to be sure it has ...the broke part and good part are laying around . Then as it happens when I break the next one I play around with the broke parts till I find one that marries the other ....
    Sometimes the new hybrid rods are pretty good and to be sure I give them abuse I wouldn’t to my better stuff . As far as Putting a snapped rod back together at the break point , I got way more things to do than try to make that work for me
    But as always to each his own and I seen a many a fish whacked in numbers on broken bad rods .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I have been blessed with adequate funds to seemingly buy most anything I want and, occasionally, several. My normal complement of rods per outing stands at four as that is how many will fit in perfect rod holders. My brother also has four on each trip we take. I broke a few and was able to send them back to the manufacturer and they were replaced at no cost to me. Others required me to purchase a new rod tip. Never thought to try to fix them myself when we have resources that will professionally do so at a minimum cost. We are just blessed to be in an era that makes this possible. I do envy the person who can do his own repairs, though. Good post and great comments!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast