HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down the wind drift....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slowing down the wind drift....

First of all, this site rocks. Thanks to everybody. Slab, gotta order me some stuff soon.

So, I watched one of the Reelfoot vids with one of the "legends." He mentioned with the wind, he had to use the trolling motor and both anchors, front and back. They were spider rigging. I'm trying to figure out how to spider rig in the wind, with a wind sock, etc. But here's the kicker,,,,they were fishing facing into the wind. I mean, I'm not positive of that, but the trolling motor was on the bow so they must have been into the wind.

How does everybody spider rig in the wind using anchors, chains, or wind socks? Thanks again!
    Likes bwest90 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In to the wind. Set trolling motor less than wind speed and allow the wind to slip you backwards. Can be done bow into the wind or bow down wind and trolling motor reversed. No need for socks, chains, or anchors with this method.

Sideways to the wind, I use drift socks.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect what he was doing was going backward as wich said. He was doing it that way because Reelfoot is so full of setup's tha socks would have stayed hung up. Most of us go with the wind and deploy socks out the back thus slowing you down and only using troller to steer Boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5gal bucket off each corner of the stern works good
    Likes Daddy and Luke, John Nash, WessV, Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used a sea anchor today while spider rigging in my jon boat.. I tossed it out the back of the boat & let it go about 15' behind the boat. To keep straight I tied off to a gunnel cleat & allowed enough slack to go around the motor & straight behind the boat. It kept me going slow & an occasional bump on the TM was all I needed to move along at .35-.50 mph in that wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Capn, I was just about to ask about 5g buckets. That's what I was about to do.

mrdux, I do have priorities...like a HDS or a i-pilot. haha

Post Thanks / Like

I found that on Reelfoot that chains work the best because they don't hang up on the stumps. A 5 foot length of log chain off each side of the boat tied to a rope. Let out enough to get to the speed you want, your back to the wind and it will just slowly let you slip across the area you want to fish.
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post
    Thanks John Nash thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a gallon bucket also, drill holes in the side, to play with how much it slows you down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

From experience I would prefer not to battle the wind especially with a 12v Tm, My 24v 80# Mg on my Tracker is more up for the job, but when its windy I prefer to head into the wind scouting until I mark enough fish then set up to drift over the areas. Its much easier on the batteries and driver this way, My rule of thumb is to use 2 five gallon buckets off the rear cleats if the wind is 10 mph or less, more than that I use a good size drift sock.
    Thanks Daddy and Luke thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast