Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled a dummy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulled a dummy.

Shut the car door on three fishing rods today,broke 12" off a $100 light action fishing rod my kids bought me for Christmas,It was to be the first time using it.
    Any suggestions on repair,?Im guessing the action would no longer be light if it is repairable.Im pretty upset since it was a gift from my kids,but hopefully I can at least salvage it.I'm hoping it's doable to splice some of the tip back on rather than just retipping the end,what say ye?

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this done. Find an old rod and cut a section out that both broken ends can slide into. Glue the 3 pcs together and go fishing. Ideal? No. Doable? Yes. Good luck! I did the same thing with a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese rod that was a Christmas gift from my daughter a couple years ago. Know how you feel.

Post Thanks / Like

If it a two piece you can probably buy another tip, and some manufactures will cover any break.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used this method for four rods and still use all four after two years. The action of the rod is not change using rod end overlap, braid wind and super glue. The picture below is for illustration only and a few things are for emphasis. In fact the parts of two different rods pictured are used as an example. The method works best with the break nearer the tip, 1/3 or less of the way up.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Grizzly Jig Company they may have a rod piece if it is a 2 piece rod.

Their phone number is call them you never know till you ask. 1 800 305 9866

Grizzly Jig Company
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Spoonminnow - interesting. I have a rod I'll try this on. Thanks for posting!
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Most companies have warranty replacement regardless of fault. Just be honest with them. Normally they require the tip section returned to them. Won't be free but it is much better than fixing it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Find rod or a piece of tubing the will fit inside the broken rod, a little epoxy and slide the 2 pieces over the rod. Will not add any weight to the rod that you can tell or change the action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    Spoonminnow - interesting. I have a rod I'll try this on. Thanks for posting!
    If interested, I'll go into detail. Believe me IT WORKS! I've caught over a hundred fish on each repaired rod with no sign of weakness.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion. I have repaired rods using an insert and though I used them for years after, they were not the same. It created a flat spot in the action. I fixed one and being fiberglass, I wound a very small diameter guide winding thread around it to prevent splintering. I could always feel the extra weight on a lighter one I fixed also. If I were you, and it isn't the best idea moneywise, but I would go replace the rod, throwing myself on the mercy of the customer service folks. Sorry to hear it was the first time out with the rod. I have one that I still use that I had to repair the cork on the forward side of the grip/reel seat. It's my favorite casting rod and being out of production, impossible to replace. A gift from my Brother. Good luck with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes stormcloud, wicklundrh, DOFC LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast