Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have hook-setting problems...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have hook-setting problems...

Well, two days ago I got skunked. Yep, actually got flat-out skunked. It was surprising, though, because I got about 5 bites, one which I got all the way to the bank before it came off. I use the little gold aberdeen hooks and fish a minnow under a bobber. Every time a crappie would bury the bobber, and I would set the hook after a little while and the crappie would be off. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    If you've got fishin' fever, I've got the fishin' PLAGUE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbzilla
    I would set the hook after a little while
    Define "little while". I would set the hook immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

might be turtles, make sure your using new sharp hooks, dont cover the tip of hook with anything.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappies have a nick name -Papermouth- they have the most delacate mouth structure of any fish I am aware of. As you get more experienced landing crappies you will learn 2 things.

1 - setting the hook on crappies is a combination of controling the power of the hookset while setting the hook quickly so they don't spit it out.

2 - once you do set the hook, retrieving the crappie is a dance between getting it in and not pulling the hook out of its delicate mouth. This becomes a real artform with larger, heavier crappies because they fight hard and their weight alone is almost enough to tear the hook out. Its one of the challenges of crappie fishing. You'll get the hang of it after a few hundred more crappies. You will notice many fish you get have torn mouths. Those are the ones that got away previously by tearing the hook free.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Mr Crappie hooks for minnow fishing. The turn in the hooks definately helps w/the hook sets. And the light wt, dark color hooks aren't easy for the crappie to see. I once fished two minnows side by side at the same depth and caught over a dozen on Mr Crappie hooks while I never got a bite on the other w/small, heavy gauge Gamakatsu hook. But I think the biggest key in converting bites into meat-on-the-table, is the size (not gauge) of your hooks. I like to use larger than normal hooks. The idea is that the fish will not have any trouble getting the hook into their mouth (it's already open wide enough to swallow a whole minnow), but it will have a harder time getting the hook out w/o getting caught on the way. I heard this from an Okie Pro by the name of Todd Huckabee, only he was talking about jigging. I've put it to the test and found that it has increased my conversion ratio. Now I'm going to have to start pouring my own jigheads so I can get a big hook on a 1/32nd oz head!
    -Kid
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing that is often overlooked while minnow fishing.

After putting the minnow on the hook take your fingers and pull any minnow scales off the point. This is especially important if your hooking the minnow anywhere in the body. I know this sounds pretty basic but,,, it was a tip given to me many many years ago and it does make a difference.

Those little tiny scales will definitely screw up getting a hook set.
    Mike

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure and use light wire hooks that are sharp. Also use one big enough to handle a good fish. Don't pull too hard as they said it will tear a hole. Then keep the line tight at all times reeling in fish as if the hole forms slack will allow the hook to fall free.
    Also some days they strike short and don't get hooked deep. We find some days jig fishing they are tough to land. When other days we get all the fish cause they strike hard and try to eat the bait. That's just fishing.:rolleyes:
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Set the hook once the bobber goes down and dont rear back on the fish when setting the hook. I like an UL rod for slip bobbering for this purpose. It lets me set the hook without pulling the hook or tearing the mouth if the hookset was to hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Gibbzilla...Try useing Southbend #4 hooks...They are bronze and very sharp....you can't beat the price and if you fish for crappie as much as I do, which is every chance I get, you will appreciate a good hook at a great price...........I have tried the Mr. Crappie hooks but had trouble with them actually breaking in half.....Maybe you are setting the hook to hard....Doesn't take much pull with a sharp hook.....Maybe you should look into useing a different float also.......Just passing on my 2 cents....Good Luck.......And yes a good ul rod plays a big role as well............
    Last edited by Litebite; 03-19-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do y'all hook your minnows under the gold aberdeens? I was putting it through the lips.
    If you've got fishin' fever, I've got the fishin' PLAGUE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast