PDA

View Full Version : Crazy catches - crappie on what?

WessV
02-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere but I thought it might be fun to see some of the strangest things you have caught crappie on, to show how aggresive they can be sometimes.

JITERBUG:

About 35 years ago we had a springfed pond behind the house in Ky and one night fishing a jitterbug for bass I had a good one hit. I fought the fish to the bank and after I lipped her and brought her into some better light I realized it was a giant crappie! I grabbed a bucket quick and her tail hung out and I measured her at 18.5" and fat as a tick!!!! I showed my parents and brother and then I put her back.

PLASTIC WORM:

About a month later I was fishing a plastic worm in the same pond and BUMP'. After a short battle her she comes again, the same monster! I still couldn't get over how wide she was and THICK!! I think my biggest was about 14" up until that year and BOOOOM, she blew that out!

My neighbor had let me take 6-8 crappie from his pond to put in my pond, and had been razzing me about taking all of his fish. I quickly filled the bucket and ran her down to his house rang his doorbell and Mr. Hammond liked to-messed-the-bed when I walked outside as I dumped that giant crappie in his little 1/2acre pond. Then I looked at him and said, " think this makes us EVEN for me taking 6 dinks." I still remember his mouth hangin open and his wide eyes.

We had to sell the place and move on later that yar and I never did find out if Mr. Hammond caught that big girl, but I'd bet my last $20 that she is mounted and hangs in his house as a testament of friendship between 2 neighbors.

Blessings
Wess

Slab
02-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Cool story.

SlowRideStu
02-13-2018, 06:10 PM
A hook embedded within a ‘Sponge Bob Square Pants Bandaid”............ cut into the shape of a grub........... to prove the point.........it won me lunch and beer. :cheers2

WessV
02-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Lol �� Slowridestu!

Pac in Arkansas
02-13-2018, 09:30 PM
I've caught them flipping a jig n pig for bass several times. Ditto with a suspending jerk baits, spinner baits & rattle traps. But the weirdest catch was when I wasn't even fishing. I was going to spend the night in the boat & was setting anchors fore & aft. I had a rattle trap hanging from the tip of a pole & the bait was at least a foot out of the water. I heard a splash & saw my bass rod about to go overboard. That had to have been a very hungry crappie.

feeshrman
02-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Caught them on rattletraps, spinnerbaits, while bass fishing. While bream fishing, crickets and red wigglers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FIN
02-13-2018, 10:50 PM
I caught my bigest crappie (4#) on a 12" black worm. :yikes

Fishhunter
02-13-2018, 11:17 PM
I have caught Crappie on a bare hook while putting the Crappie I had just caught in the live well. I set the rod down with the bobber and bare hook hanging over the side and almost lost my rod. This has happened more than once but only once on a bare hook, the others have been with a jig on.

Boogieman1
02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Caught one on a plastic frog in the Lilly's once. Also seen a catfisherman catch a few on liver in his boat slip few years back.

CrappiePappy
02-14-2018, 12:01 AM
I've caught them on meal worms (intentionally), and once on a 4" plastic Crawfish (Bass fishing) ... and had a buddy catch one on a 1/2oz Spinnerbait (also Bass fishing).
Even caught some on Flat A crankbaits, trolling for Hybrid Stripers ... but that was probably 30yrs ago :yikes & probably well before trolling (pushing/pulling) cranks was a Crappie catching technique that was known to many people.

Techno2000
02-14-2018, 02:08 AM
I have caught Crappie on a bare hook while putting the Crappie I had just caught in the live well. I set the rod down with the bobber and bare hook hanging over the side and almost lost my rod. This has happened more than once but only once on a bare hook, the others have been with a jig on.

I've done the exact same thing, except it was a huge Bass.

Crappiemaniac
02-14-2018, 02:51 AM
Caught a 13 1/2 inch crappie while catfishing 38ft deep on the main channel at Pickwick with a night crawler fishing on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

SuperCorona
02-14-2018, 05:36 AM
When I was a kid we went on a fishing trip to NW Wisconsin. My younger sister was wiggling her fingers in the water over the side of the boat. All of a sudden she screamed when a crappie latched onto her fat fingers. My grandpa saw it, grabbed the net and scooped up the fish.

ad1974
02-14-2018, 06:06 AM
We had 2 separate incidents last year where we caught crappie on a barehook hanging in the water,kinda funny when on other days you have to throw just about everything at them just to get a few bites.

slackline
02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
My biggest was caught while bass fishing on a 10 inch plastic worm. It was a memorable day. My buddy and i doubled on longbeards in the morning. Caught well over 100 bass and My biggest crappie.

Quackrstackr
02-14-2018, 12:32 PM
One of the biggest black crappie I've ever caught came on a buzzbait on KY Lake. Caught one once on cut bait while catfishing too. Also plastic and real worms.

silverside
02-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Corn. Was carp fishing in a river. 6-8 kernels strung on a hook. I caught it while reeling in. It may of had the look of a yellow crappie slider to the fishy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

WessV
02-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Some great posts!! LOL!!!
Wess

Greenwing
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
I've caught crappie on jerkbaits and crankbaits, my buddy sent me a picture of a nice crappie on an Alabama rig a few weeks ago.

skeetbum
02-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Casting a husky jerk on rip rap while bass fishing, I pitched toward a bush that was partly underwater. You know, twitch, twitch, pause and THUMP!! 5 times. Pulled 5 good crappie on 5 successive casts and never turned another crappie on that bait ever again, and none of us in the boat caught any other crappie that day. But those 5 fish pumped us all up that day.

PawPaw "gene"
02-15-2018, 07:53 AM
I have a friend who runs catfish lines catch some 2 pound plus crappie on Ivory soap more than once.
"gene"

Spoonminnow
02-15-2018, 09:06 AM
This crappy must have been really p.o.'d when this 5" bass swimbait trespassed into its strike zone!
https://i.imgur.com/bVGedci.jpg?1