HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy catches - crappie on what?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crazy catches - crappie on what?

Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere but I thought it might be fun to see some of the strangest things you have caught crappie on, to show how aggresive they can be sometimes.

JITERBUG:

About 35 years ago we had a springfed pond behind the house in Ky and one night fishing a jitterbug for bass I had a good one hit. I fought the fish to the bank and after I lipped her and brought her into some better light I realized it was a giant crappie! I grabbed a bucket quick and her tail hung out and I measured her at 18.5" and fat as a tick!!!! I showed my parents and brother and then I put her back.

PLASTIC WORM:

About a month later I was fishing a plastic worm in the same pond and BUMP'. After a short battle her she comes again, the same monster! I still couldn't get over how wide she was and THICK!! I think my biggest was about 14" up until that year and BOOOOM, she blew that out!

My neighbor had let me take 6-8 crappie from his pond to put in my pond, and had been razzing me about taking all of his fish. I quickly filled the bucket and ran her down to his house rang his doorbell and Mr. Hammond liked to-messed-the-bed when I walked outside as I dumped that giant crappie in his little 1/2acre pond. Then I looked at him and said, " think this makes us EVEN for me taking 6 dinks." I still remember his mouth hangin open and his wide eyes.

We had to sell the place and move on later that yar and I never did find out if Mr. Hammond caught that big girl, but I'd bet my last $20 that she is mounted and hangs in his house as a testament of friendship between 2 neighbors.

Blessings
    Wess
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-13-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool story.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes WessV LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A hook embedded within a ‘Sponge Bob Square Pants Bandaid”............ cut into the shape of a grub........... to prove the point.........it won me lunch and beer.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after".
    -Henry David Thoreau-
    Likes WessV, Techno2000, steve64116 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol �� Slowridestu!

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught them flipping a jig n pig for bass several times. Ditto with a suspending jerk baits, spinner baits & rattle traps. But the weirdest catch was when I wasn't even fishing. I was going to spend the night in the boat & was setting anchors fore & aft. I had a rattle trap hanging from the tip of a pole & the bait was at least a foot out of the water. I heard a splash & saw my bass rod about to go overboard. That had to have been a very hungry crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught them on rattletraps, spinnerbaits, while bass fishing. While bream fishing, crickets and red wigglers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I caught my bigest crappie (4#) on a 12" black worm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught Crappie on a bare hook while putting the Crappie I had just caught in the live well. I set the rod down with the bobber and bare hook hanging over the side and almost lost my rod. This has happened more than once but only once on a bare hook, the others have been with a jig on.
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!
    Likes WessV, steve64116 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Caught one on a plastic frog in the Lilly's once. Also seen a catfisherman catch a few on liver in his boat slip few years back.
    Seems everyone these days are selling dreams, I'm just to cheap to buy one!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught them on meal worms (intentionally), and once on a 4" plastic Crawfish (Bass fishing) ... and had a buddy catch one on a 1/2oz Spinnerbait (also Bass fishing).
    Even caught some on Flat A crankbaits, trolling for Hybrid Stripers ... but that was probably 30yrs ago & probably well before trolling (pushing/pulling) cranks was a Crappie catching technique that was known to many people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast