Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper way to get ipilot and spot lock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheaper way to get ipilot and spot lock

After years of fighting wind and anchors on 20ft pontoon, I've decided to invest in a trolling motor with some sort of spot lock. Is there a way to do this on a budget? Looks like a new setup runs around 1500. What's the cheapest way to get this? Can I buy an older used motor and update it? Also what size would you suggest for my boat? My main need is the spot lock and the auto pilot would be nice so I could start trolling alone and sit in the back of the boat.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

112lb 36V. Do you already have wiring, batteries and all that jazz?

Just bought a new Terrova from BBG marine. Brian had the cheapest price and was great to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    112lb 36V. Do you already have wiring, batteries and all that jazz?

Just bought a new Terrova from BBG marine. Brian had the cheapest price and was great to work with.
    Thanks. I'll need to get some new batteries but I have plenty of wire.

So I'll need a 36v unit?

Post Thanks / Like

I would, that's a big boat with a lot of windage. I bought the 80lb for my 16ft deep-v.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
    After years of fighting wind and anchors on 20ft pontoon, I've decided to invest in a trolling motor with some sort of spot lock. Is there a way to do this on a budget? Looks like a new setup runs around 1500. What's the cheapest way to get this? Can I buy an older used motor and update it? Also what size would you suggest for my boat? My main need is the spot lock and the auto pilot would be nice so I could start trolling alone and sit in the back of the boat.

Thanks.
    No cheap way to do what you want. You can save money and buy a used gen 1 Spotlock....or you can save a little money and find someone who happens to be selling a gen 2 Spotlock. Personally I would go for the gen 2 Spotlock....it is far better than the gen 1 model. My opinion....buy once cry once.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Slabprowler, skeetbum, Gindog, Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    No cheap way to do what you want. You can save money and buy a used gen 1 Spotlock....or you can save a little money and find someone who happens to be selling a gen 2 Spotlock. Personally I would go for the gen 2 Spotlock....it is far better than the gen 1 model. My opinion....buy once cry once.

Regards

Thanks. I just did some research on 1st and 2ed gens. Looks like 2ed is much better like you said. I'll see if I can find a used one. Just reading about these things sounds like it could really be a game changer for me

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the new ones on the bass pro website, which one would you suggest I get based on my needs? I don't really know why id need Bluetooth and I can drop the motor in the water manually. I don't have two fish finders. I just have one by the console.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Give him a couple of weeks to get back off vacation. Then contact Brian at BBG marine. He will guide you through everything and he has best pricing out there.

http://bbgmarine.com

Basically you need36 volt Terrova with ipilot nd nothing else and longest shaft.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest the Terrova......112 lbs thrust for a 20 foot pontoon. But someone with experience with a pontoon can better answer which size you need than I can. I would not get an Ulterra......I have an Ulterra and while I have to say it has served me well I have sent it in twice in 2.5 years and the last time I got it back was August 2017...it is already malfunctioning again. The repairs were done under warranty....and I have nothing bad to say about Minn Kota service and support. But my warranty is out and those previous repairs they put $2000 worth of parts in it....I did not pay for that. That is just to show how expensive parts for an Ulterra are. The Ulterra has a lot going on that can break. Many who have them have had no issues with them...but for those of us who have had problems they are a pain. If it malfunctions and will not stow it is a lot of effort to go through on the water to do a manual stow. Mine is still working and it will just be a matter of time before it fully conks out....but I will not put several hundred dollars to get it fixed....heck it will cost me almost 100 bucks just to send it back to Minn Kota since it is out of warranty...they paid shipping both ways when it was under warranty. There is no reliable service center close to me. I will probably get the 2nd gen Terrova before the Ulterra completely fails.

Regards

Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
    Looking at the new ones on the bass pro website, which one would you suggest I get based on my needs? I don't really know why id need Bluetooth and I can drop the motor in the water manually. I don't have two fish finders. I just have one by the console.
    you might want give Brian at call at BBGmarine a call he is a crappie.com Supporter and member sponsor and would give you a great deal !!! here is one on his site that would work great for you !!! he also has a remanufactured one about $500.00 cheaper too !!! might want to PM him and see what kind of deal you can get here is his crappie.com name
    Brian@BBGmarine !!! hope this helps !!!

http://bbgmarine.com/minn-kota-terro...t-p-20797.html

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast