HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is meant by artificial or fake lure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is meant by artificial or fake lure?

Artificial - definition - imitation or fake

When someone refers to using an artificial or fake lure, does it mean, by definition, that the lures aren't real? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say simulation as in minnow simulation and fly simulation or fake this or that animal?

I refer to lures by their brand names such as Road Runner, Sassy Shad, Mr. Twister, Hellgie, Rooster Tail, Beetle Spin, etc. automatically knowing how they look and act when they are mentioned. Other than specific commercial names, generic lure classifications seem to be understood such as minnow (fish simulation with a forked tail), in-line spinner, spoon and grubs broken down into curl tail, shad tail and rat tail grubs.

Just a thought on a cold winter day....
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

you need to get a hobby.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Thanks DHC thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Legally, here in Georgia, it's something made of plastic, wood, feathers, etc. -- and no scents or flavoring added. Fish a trout stream with a scented or salted plastic, and you'll pay a fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasseyes View Post
    you need to get a hobby.
    Already have one: making and modifying artificial lures. LOL

Legally, here in Georgia, it's something made of plastic, wood, feathers, etc. -- and no scents or flavoring added. Fish a trout stream with a scented or salted plastic, and you'll pay a fine.
    WOW! the authorities really believe fish bite a lure because of scent or salt?!! That's NUTS! It reminds me of the push about 20 years ago to ban sonar for recreational fishing. Thank goodness it failed to pass.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spoon great post will be following.A lure is an artificial bait or lure used to intise or get a reaction bite from a non-feeding fish.Some if the first artificial were made by Rapala and they were made form wood,cedar"rapala minnow" and Rented for $5.00 a day!!.LOL .They artificial lures are made because fish are not feeding all the time.We use artificial lures hand-ties,soft plastics too get a reaction bite.In our trout waters we have protected zones were artificial lures only and bar-bless hooks.Mostly around easy to get to and boat dock areas
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

If it requires this much thought, I ain't fishin!
    Likes Eagle 1, footballcoach, DHC LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

By the definition ..... "imitation" and "simulation" are one and the same. So to say "imitation minnow" or "minnow imitation" is the same as saying "simulated minnow" or "minnow simulation" ... ie it's an "artificial copy" or imitation or simulation of a "real live object". I don't know of many people that refer to "artificial" lures as "fake lures" (fake minnow, fake worm, fake bug), as most seem to be quite comfortable in calling a man-made object "artificial" when it's basically a basic copy or imitation of a living organism. It's quite likely that the use of "artificial", when referring to lures, is just a quick way of describing them in an all encompassing manner, to delineate them from an actual living organism.

You don't hear people saying "imitation leg" or "simulated heart" , much less a "fake leg/heart" .... do you ?? No, you hear them referred to as a "artificial" leg/heart. That's as "accurate" as it needs to be.
    Likes "G", scrat, jackie53 LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean. Please define "fishin" What is meant by artificial or fake lure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie53 View Post
    Thanks Spoon great post will be following.A lure is an artificial bait or lure used to intise or get a reaction bite from a non-feeding fish.Some if the first artificial were made by Rapala and they were made form wood,cedar"rapala minnow" and Rented for $5.00 a day!!.LOL .They artificial lures are made because fish are not feeding all the time.We use artificial lures hand-ties,soft plastics too get a reaction bite.In our trout waters we have protected zones were artificial lures only and bar-bless hooks.Mostly around easy to get to and boat dock areas
    Excellent Jackie !!!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Please define "fishin" What is meant by artificial or fake lure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    To have caught is not to have fished!But to have fished is to have caught

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes silverside, "G", ET Fish LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast