Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Breaking vs. Hook Straightening

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Breaking vs. Hook Straightening

I try to find a line/hook combination that I can get my rig back 80 to 90 percent of the time even if I have to straighten the hook a little. 8 lb. test Stren Hi-Vis Gold gets back 50 to 60 percent and 10 lb gets back 80 to 90.
    I usually use a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. jighead so I'm not afraid to use 10 lb. in our stained to muddy water.
    Several guys jig with lighter jigs and use 4 lb.test and some guys prefer the heavy duty braided superlines. I don't like them because when you have to break off it's too hard to do.
    Which do you prefer?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Both sufix promix and Gamma are so strong at 6lb test they are hard to break with your hands and I have straightened out many hooks that were stuck on rocks. Pretty amazing for 6lb. I have yet to find anything that equals the benefits of these 2 lines.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interresting Grizz, I haven't tried those lines yet. Do they make it in a Hi-Vis yellow or chartreuse?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

They make the promix in a pretty visible fluorescent blue, other than that they are clear or green I think. If you want a sufix copolymer line like promix, but with brighter colors try Sufix Superior Line.

http://www.bubbajackstackle.com/Sufi...shing_Line.htm

Promix - http://www.bubbajackstackle.com/Sufi...ing%20Line.htm

They make gamma in gold - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amma&noImage=0
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-19-2007 at 04:44 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I get many more fish and casts out of 8# line. I have had to take 2 reels when trying to use the 6#. I think I am going back to 10# to get back more jigs and more use out of the mono. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

4# only. Catch more fish. Sometimes you lose your lure sometimes you don't. Less disturbance when you do hang. I have never lost a fish because it was 4# line either.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my line is braid. I need small diameter and high strength since, to get a good knot, I have to run my line through the jig eye two times- to either use a palomar, Reid knot or Trilene knot. With line that is higher diameter, it can be tough to get it through once. much less twice. If I get in a hurry and use an improved clinch on my braid, I don't get nearly the number of my jigs back after they get hung up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1lb. Powerpro and can most times straigten the hook.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 'bandito' ....

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I try to find a line/hook combination that I can get my rig back 80 to 90 percent of the time even if I have to straighten the hook a little. 8 lb. test Stren Hi-Vis Gold gets back 50 to 60 percent and 10 lb gets back 80 to 90.
    I usually use a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. jighead so I'm not afraid to use 10 lb. in our stained to muddy water.
    Several guys jig with lighter jigs and use 4 lb.test and some guys prefer the heavy duty braided superlines. I don't like them because when you have to break off it's too hard to do.
    Which do you prefer?
    Maybe it isn't the line's fault
    Have you considered the hook ?? Maybe, with those size jigheads, the hooks are stouter than they need be. Maybe a lite wire hook, in those jighead weights, would help get back more of your jigs.
    Or ... maybe you should try some weedless jigheads. I use mostly 4 & 6lb test mono lines ... and with the lite wire hooks and weedguards, I rarely get hung up; when I do, I can usually straighten the hook.
    When I'm using PowerPro 10/2, which usually has a Roadrunner tied on, and I get snagged ... I can usually straighten out the RR hook, which has a far stouter hook than the jigheads I use. I tie my RR's on the PowerPro, with a 5-7wrap Improved Clinch knot ... and I have yet to have a knot come undone.

Just thought I'd throw out some more "options". ..... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Crappie Pappy. I never have paid much attention to my hooks. But, I occasionaly trout fish in crystal clear water with my crappie gear. So, I like to use lo vis green on just about every rod I own. For casting jigs, I use 4 lbs. When tight line jigging I use 6 lbs.
    Recently I bought some jig heads out of Academy. They were pretty and pink and the right size. I never paid much attention to what the hooks were made of. But, they straighten out when I snag. This question will certainly be asked next time I order jigs. It sure saves a lot of retying.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast