Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, im new to the site, (lake cohoon)

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hello, im new to the site, (lake cohoon)

I like this site a lot, I am in norfolk, and luv crappie fishing also, I really like the Idea of "posting" in January about crappie fishing, the winter is the longest season for me, and just to think, there are crappie hunters year around gets the ol blood bubbling.
    Anyway, I havent had much luck here, but last year late feb, early march, I went to Lake cohoon, from the bank facing streight out the left branch, and along the front shore, I was able to get a few nice slabs, and to my suprise they were in only 4-6 feet of water, I trolled (rental) along the entire coast with not much luck that day, but every trip I made I seem to come back with a few nice slabs, really early in the year.
    Anyone have a better plan, or more productive lake this early in the season.
    Last edited by papermouth scaler; 01-25-2005 at 11:18 AM.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Papermouth Scaler and welcome to the board. I haven't fished the Suffolk lakes for several years so I can't help you there. Hopefully some others will jump in here and give you some info.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Papermouth Scaler. Sorry, I can't help you with the lakes on the Southside. I spend my time on the Peninsula. You might post a question to the message board on this site: http://www.bassjons.com/default.htm. They fish those lakes all of the time and are very helpful.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome P.S.- Thanks for posting. I crappie fish Western Branch In March and would be glad to get up with you then and show you a few spots. Let me know when you're ready!- Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the reply, and "welcome aboard", glad to be here! I may take you up on western branch squirrel hunter. I have heard a lot of good things about that lake. good fishing to you.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cohoon is my lake,fishing was slow late summer but did ok pretty much most of the time.Could be the way I fish just jig a minnow but I love that way so.Cant wait till March.
    CVN 71 VF-84 TOMCATS AIRFRAMER
    VA.Beach,VA.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Norfolk lakes, Whitehurst, Smith, and Prince. We seem to have the best luck early in the year looking for shallow, dark bottom coves with old logs and stumps on the north and east ends of the lakes where the wind piles up the warmer water. We use micro jigs and flies under slip bobbers early in the year. I'm going to try and post some pics over on the main board Friday of what we use. It sounds like everybody has a different favorite lake and method and they all seem to work. I've caught crappies on a lot of different rigs over the years, I think the key is location and through probing of likely locations. I've seen people motor and fish an entire lake in the time we spend on a couple hundred feet of shoreline early in the year. My buddy has atheory that early in the year fish are looking for two things warmth and food and once theyfind them they don't move much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default good theroy, and good advise

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe
    I fish Norfolk lakes, Whitehurst, Smith, and Prince. We seem to have the best luck early in the year looking for shallow, dark bottom coves with old logs and stumps on the north and east ends of the lakes where the wind piles up the warmer water. We use micro jigs and flies under slip bobbers early in the year. I'm going to try and post some pics over on the main board Friday of what we use. It sounds like everybody has a different favorite lake and method and they all seem to work. I've caught crappies on a lot of different rigs over the years, I think the key is location and through probing of likely locations. I've seen people motor and fish an entire lake in the time we spend on a couple hundred feet of shoreline early in the year. My buddy has atheory that early in the year fish are looking for two things warmth and food and once theyfind them they don't move much.
    I haven't had much luck on whitehurst, in the past years, maybe one crappie
    I also like to jig, mostly micro miny's, I fished smith quite a bit, last year was slow for me, the year befor I could't miss lol, coolers of slabs, (from the shore even), but Im going to work cohoon this season, thks for the advise and post.

mike
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Glad to here it

Quote Originally Posted by DREW
    Cohoon is my lake,fishing was slow late summer but did ok pretty much most of the time.Could be the way I fish just jig a minnow but I love that way so.Cant wait till March.
    I have been watching that lake fairly close, I have fished it pretty hard in 2003, and finally caught up to some nice papermouths, back in the cove from the bank by the store, I was in the cove where the logs (were) sticking up everywhere, (high water level covered them last time I checked), but unfortunatly thats the only spot I know. hopefully I will meet up with you on the lake and learn my way around some.

Thanks for the reply, and good fishing.

Mike.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papermouth scaler
    I have been watching that lake fairly close, I have fished it pretty hard in 2003, and finally caught up to some nice papermouths, back in the cove from the bank by the store, I was in the cove where the logs (were) sticking up everywhere, (high water level covered them last time I checked), but unfortunatly thats the only spot I know. hopefully I will meet up with you on the lake and learn my way around some.

Thanks for the reply, and good fishing.

Mike.
    Mike, I would give anything if they would build another ramp on Lake Kilby. Years ago that used to be some fine Crappie fishing. I can just imagine what it would be like now since its been closed to the public for so long. I would definitely have to come up with another boat if they ever do open it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast