HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for some advice

It’s funny how time gets away from you. My dad and I spent each fall and spring going on a fishing trip. Most of our trips were to Kentucky lake and Rend lake. Then I got married and started a family. I got busy with the daily grind of life. And I wasn’t able to take the time and spend on the lake with my dad. We always said we would get back to our yearly trips when things slowed down for me and my dad retired. This past fall my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. So I’m planning a fishing trip this spring March April timeframe. My dad would like to try somewhere new this trip. I’ve looked at a lot of lakes and am I’m nowhere closer to a decision. We love to fish structure single pole jigging. We’ve done a little spider rigging but we just love to feel that thump. So what I’m looking for is advice on where to go. Willing to travel up to around 300 or 400 miles from the Rend lake area. Thanks in advance for any advice
    Last edited by Pokey; 02-06-2018 at 02:26 PM.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the bad news. Now each minute will be a treasure.
    I'm thinking Reelfoot maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes barrelslime LIKED above post
    Thanks Pokey thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

When my dad got older and his health began failing I started hiring a guide and taking him every year for his birthday, which was 4/16. While I know how to crappie fish, the guides always had the advantage of more hrs on the lake and I wanted to maximize his success. I did that for 4-5 years in a row. Sadly I can no longer take him, but I still make a point to fish on his birthday. We always fished Ky Lake and caught lots of fish, but if I could take him one more time, we would go to Grenada, MS and hire a guide for the weekend. They have some monster crappie and the temps will be warmer than the Rend Lake area. I pray for comfort for your dad and good memories for you and the time you can spend with him wherever you decide to go.
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman
    Likes Hat55, Retired2Fish, skeetbum, Mike58 LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Reelfoot Lake and hire a guide so its not a wasted trip. Sorry for the bad news.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry to hear this about your dad, Pokey. God be with you and him in this time of need. I will ask my Father in Heaven to hold the weather back so you can get a chance to go fishing with him. If you guys do go, take many many pictures of the times spent together. We never are promised tomorrow. I pray God gives those Doctors the ability to heal him. Do not be afraid to try a pier and bank fish. The Crappie are hitting shallow in a lot of places right now.
    Likes Retired2Fish, KFC, SuperCorona LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been to Truman Lake in the summer months but for single poling it's the place to go!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go to Reelfoot. You've got a national treasure there, excellent restaurants and guides. You could take him to the museum and Grizzly Jig Co, which is close. Plus you might see an eagle or two.
    Likes Redge, skeetbum, Javelin 180 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take him to Sardis or Grenada and hire one of the guides that specialize in those lakes, 2 lb crappie are pretty common there.
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Sardis or Granada. No brainer

Post Thanks / Like

Hospice RN here, previously oncology, etc. Those few months are a very long ways away for your dad, and his condition could change dramatically by then. If you're going to plan something that far out, I would do it as close to home as possible, as travel will be hard on him.

What I would honestly recommend is getting your FMLA paperwork in, and using it as soon as the weather breaks to go out with him and each time it breaks. I'd get a guide now too, as a boat ride a few month down the road maybe intolerable.

Godspeed.
    Thanks skeetbum, Beavz, Pokey, KnightShadow10 thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast