HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Line Crank setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Line Crank setup

This thread was created to aid "Potatoe" in finding a better setup to achieve his goals for long line trolling crank baits. It is not a hard and fast rule but a setup that might aid him and others and avoid the dreaded tangles.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Where have we heard this before? When we are knowledgeable about a particular product, the setup of a function, or a particular idea, we can usually perform it in our sleep. Unfortunately, it might be difficult to provide a good explanation to others regarding our knowledge. Providing a picture with our explanations can often times allow the reader to better absorb the information through a point of reference.

Recently, a question was posed regarding boat setup when referring to trolling. Many of us from the North take for granted the fact that we have been trolling most of our lives. From northern pike to walleye, salmon to steelhead, many of us have gone through a half dozen or more boat setups in order to find an effective trolling setup. Although trolling has been around as long as boats have been floating, regional fishing often dictates how people setup and use their boats. Just like spider rigging being foreign to the guys from the North, trolling planer boards and flat line trolling can be equally confusing to our brothers in the South.

I’ve written in length before how spider rigging in Michigan can be especially hard do in large part to our crystal clear waters. For that reason, many of us trolling for crappies have adopted methods that we typically use for other fish. My reference to “Southern boats” and “Northern boats” have zero to do with one location being better than the other. Many tactics that we utilize in fishing can be regional. For that reason, I specify Northern and Southern as “regions”.

When I see boat setups from the Southern region, I typically see a more traditional spider rig setup. Whether we are talking about pushing or pulling, the setups are largely the same. The rods holders are setup in a straight line. Although they can be angled slightly and pitched up or down, they traditionally follow the same plane. There is nothing wrong with this setup regarding the pushing or pulling of jigs and even crankbaits for that matter. Unfortunately, when we get in to the subject of long line trolling, there might be a better way.

Although I love trolling planer boards and will have a write up regarding the setup and usage of such in the coming weeks, today I will discuss how I would setup my boat for long line trolling crankbaits. I will go in to detail as to “why” I would use this setup, the benefit of the setup, and how to avoid tangles. There is nothing new with this setup. Long before the popularity of planer boards, many of us from the Northern region have grown up doing something very similar. Without seeing a setup like this, many of our Southern counterparts would be left in the dark on this particular setup for long line trolling!

We utilize this setup in rivers, lakes and streams where we are not trying to cover a wide swatch. We are usually targeting a specific depth zone or river channel, and we are trying to get our baits in the water as fast as possible. When tournament fishing, time is critical. We need to put our baits in the strike zone and keep them there. This also includes catching fish. When a fish is on, we have one less rod in the water. We want to get the fish to the boat and the rod back in the water as fast as possible. Adding other equipment to the mix (like planer boards) can sometimes reduce our overall water time. Oftentimes we usually don’t have an area to ourselves. Throw ten boats in a very small area with all of them are running planer boards and you quickly have a mess! I saw this last year in a tournament and we quickly switched over to the below method to target our fish.

Name:  scannedDoc0001.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  22.4 KB

Please keep in mind that I am by no means an illustrator. I drew this to be able to better explain the idea.

Notice that NONE of our rods holders in this example are located "inline" across the back of the boat. Keeping the rear of the boat clear of lines and rods is key. We need an area to fight and net fish. An area that we will not tangle other lines. My boat setup allows for the placement of rod holders based on a rail style system. I can move them in any location. This setup can still be accomplished however with clamp on style holders or the installation of a flat rail track system (Like Bert’s tracks or Traxstech tracks).

For this example, we are fishing overtop of 25 feet of water and the fish are suspended in the 8 to 16 foot range.

The first rods point directly out of the back of the boat. It does NOT need to be mounted in the fashion depicted in the photo. It could be mounted in line with the rest of the holders but facing directly out the back. We prefer to use shorter rods in the 6’6” to 7’ range. We want these baits to dive quickly with the least amount of line in the water. By having a low amount of line out and a steep dive angle, we can ensure our baits and our line will not tangle with other baits or lines. To accomplish our required depth we will utilize a #1 Off Shore Tadpole and a simple floating jig with a Charlie Brewer slider. Our tadpole will enter the water and the line setback will be 21 feet. This will put our offering at 16 foot down. Take note of the setback as this is important.

Our second rod is on the rail and the holder is set at an angle between zero (the rod out the back of the boat) and 90 degrees (our next rod). This rod can be the same length as your rear rod as the angle of the holder will keep the bait away from it. On this rod we will run a Bandit 400 with a setback of 40 feet. This will allow our bait to dive to 13 feet. Notice that this setback is LONGER than the first rod’s setback!

Our third rod in this example is set 90 degrees to the rail. We prefer to run a much longer rod here as it will help further spread out the baits in the water. On this rod we will run a size 5 Berkley Flicker Shad. We will run back 75 feet of line in order to hit a target depth of 8 feet.

This setup will allow us to spread out our rods to avoid tangles, hook fish on any rod without needing to clear another rod out of the way, and allow us to reset any rod out the back of the boat without worrying about cross tangles when setting in the holder. The key to all of this is how we staggered our setbacks. We utilized different bait styles and sizes to achieve a different depth. This can be duplicated on the other side of the boat or a completely different setup can be ran.

Baits can be 100% identical however you need to pay close attention to your setbacks. The longer setbacks will always go to the outside in this example. IF you transpose the two outside rods, you can quickly see that the shorter (and deeper) outside rod would tangle with the longer and shallower inside rod upon retrieval.

There is zero different between this setup and the setup we run for planer boards. We look at depth of dive, dive angle, and setback when determining our spread. When running the exact same baits with identical setbacks, we can very our board lengths from the boat to determine a better spread that will help clear lines and avoid tangles.

With this diagramed setup, you can angle your rods as close as you want to the water in order to ensure your proper setback is achieved with little to no guesswork. Remember, your setback and dive curve are determined based on the amount of line played out from wear it enters the water and not from the tip of the rod.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes armyman, Just Steve, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and good ideas! Very informative. THANKS!
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info and drawing, my current setup looks like the two poles at 90 deg from boat. Both poles are 8' 6" with line counters bought from Scheels. I would consider it entry level. I have two kids one in college so funds are limited. I am currently just trying this with the two poles. I am running the bandits and flicker shads. I have a bar that I made across the back using the seat post. (copied from local cat fisherman) the holders are pretty high up from gunnel. My line takes forever to hit the surface of water. I am going to look at mounting Ram Rod 2000 but just cant get to the point to drill the holes. I think a track system would be a good idea but need to find affordable system. I think that would allow the tip of rod to point downwards toward the water and help with depth control.
    Thanks Buzzsaw thanked you for this post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Rich. Your illustration is exactly what my crank pulling set-up for 2 clients or buddies looks like. I may add 2 more 6 foot rods to the transom if the fishermen are experienced, like my wife.

For 4 clients, I'll have two 6 footers for each fishermen at the rear and a Southern Crappie SC R143T and SCR102 off the sides at the front seat bases. That's why the rail track system on the Excel is so nice. Same for having multiple holder bases for the HiTek holders.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Lene LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    Thanks for all the info and drawing, my current setup looks like the two poles at 90 deg from boat. Both poles are 8' 6" with line counters bought from Scheels. I would consider it entry level. I have two kids one in college so funds are limited. I am currently just trying this with the two poles. I am running the bandits and flicker shads. I have a bar that I made across the back using the seat post. (copied from local cat fisherman) the holders are pretty high up from gunnel. My line takes forever to hit the surface of water. I am going to look at mounting Ram Rod 2000 but just cant get to the point to drill the holes. I think a track system would be a good idea but need to find affordable system. I think that would allow the tip of rod to point downwards toward the water and help with depth control.
    Have you considered a clamp on style holder? This might negate the need to drill holes in the gunnel. I kind of figured you had an "across the back" setup.

Again, not sure what kind of boat you have or your current gunnel setup but a clamp on style system might be right up your ally. You might consider purchasing a two pack of scotty's (or cabelas brand) or a two pack of "Fish On" holders. The Fish On are relativly innexpensive, come with a mounting base (have to decide if you want deck mount or side mount) and could be altered to put on a clamp style system.

Get up with Rickie and I'm sure he could come up with something for you.

The best bang for your buck with regards to trolling gear can be had from Northwoods here in Michigan. Several guys order products from them and are amazed at the prices. I was there last weekend and they had trolling rods for $4.95 cents. Yes, they were a little heavy duty for trolling crappies but, for $4.95 cents you can't beat it. Their prices on line counter reels are also very low. Several guys order from them because of their great prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Nice job Rich. Your illustration is exactly what my crank pulling set-up for 2 clients or buddies looks like. I may add 2 more 6 foot rods to the transom if the fishermen are experienced, like my wife.

For 4 clients, I'll have two 6 footers for each fishermen at the rear and a Southern Crappie SC R143T and SCR102 off the sides at the front seat bases. That's why the rail track system on the Excel is so nice. Same for having multiple holder bases for the HiTek holders.
    I had a feeling your boat was similar! I saw a video of a few guys fishing Kentucky lake the other day. Obviously, they had not seen your boat setup. They looked like a Chinese fire drill when hooking, catching fish, and retrieving them. If I remember correctly, one comment was "tangles are part of the game".

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I had a feeling your boat was similar! I saw a video of a few guys fishing Kentucky lake the other day. Obviously, they had not seen your boat setup. They looked like a Chinese fire drill when hooking, catching fish, and retrieving them. If I remember correctly, one comment was "tangles are part of the game".
    Early in my crappie crank pursuit, I thought having a bait in the water from every square inch of the gunnel and transom meant more crappie. NOTTT!! It meant untold time and sweat trying to untangle lines just because of a crank that wasn't tracking right or a leaf or other trash. Hooking a catfish, white, or other non-target species multiplied the psycho factor x100. Most of the time it is far more intelligent to put baits in the water at strategic points but having lots of line separation. I will run 2 feet of separation for longling jigs and roadrunners but do everything I can to have 4 feet between baits with cranks.

I have lots of clients who are here to learn pulling cranks or longlining. Many are new to planer boards. Many of them ask why I don't run as many lines as that guy over there who is running 25 lines off the sides of his boat. Once they realize we are spending more time reeling in fish than untangling 10 lines like the other guy, their question is answered.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks Buzzsaw thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 98 Tracker V16, has a Yamaha 40 and older Minn Kota 50 lb thrust. I am trying to use the Minn Kota troll with. I like the idea track system so I am searching around. I found a picture of gunnel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Very similar to how I roll. It is fun to experiment with weighting either the outside or inside rods (depending on what lure you are pulling) to make the tighter turns possible etc. nice post

wess

Post Thanks / Like

Potatoe,

That is a nice gunnel setup. Majority of the tracks that I know of (Bert's and Traxstech) are usually in the 3.25 to 3.5 inch wide range. Just something to think about.

Where your tape is, directly under the 3 inch mark. If you turn your camera 90 degrees (looking at the inside of the gunnel). Is there a lip or a ledge there or does it drop straight down to the side? Reason I ask is that, IF there is a ledge there, you could get by with some clamp on style setups. These might be a bunch cheaper than installing rail systems and proprietary rod holders that go in them. Just giving a few ideas for the budget minded angler!! Plus, no drilling, can move them around, and actually see where you would like your setup to be.

Rickie over at Podunk might be able to help you out with something!!! Mr. Dux's cousin and backwoods engineer/genius extrodinair!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast