HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best SI/DI Combo VALUE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best SI/DI Combo VALUE

Hi Everyone,

I've been crappie fishing for a long time with a cheap eagle unit. I can go and catch some fish just knowing water depth and temp, but it's time for us to start catching some numbers. So I want to be able to side scan for brush piles, etc. at the back, (tiller steer) and then move up to the front and use DI to pinpoint the fish. I want to mount the unit at the bow and be able to watch the SI on my Ipad at the back of the boat. I think I've narrowed my search down to a Lowrance HDS or a Garmin EchoMAP.

What's the best/cheapest unit that will fit my "wants" with a minimum 7" screen? Preloaded with a map would be a plus but I can add it too. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Garmin echo map has all the maps built in and you don’t have to buy lake chips. I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest calling Brian at BBG marine. He can help with all your questions. I would suggest the Lowrance Elite it series over the HDS for price if it fits your need of connecting to iPad or phone. Basically same unit in cheaper package. Don't know if you can connect with the Garmin.

http://bbgmarine.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mods, if I posted in the wrong place, will you move it to Electronics? Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy and Luke View Post
    Mods, if I posted in the wrong place, will you move it to Electronics? Thanks
    It's fine, right here. But, if you "want" me to move it, just say the word !!

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Love my Garmin!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin a are nice for GPS on road trips. If you want the best, get a Bird! But if you want just 2d sonar, then any brand will due.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get on garmins site and check which units you can mirror on an iPad.
    Is touch screen important to you? The echomap plus series is touch screen. I was against touch screen, now that I have them? Your not taking them away!!
    It's very easy, say on side view, to mark a brush pile. Our navigate the screens.
    Most All of the echomap series come preloaded with maps, check garmins site to verify if your lake (s) are preloaded on it. If not, the echomap has quickdraw. Buy an SD card (micro) and make your own map. That's all you need.
    I saw on a different site that bass pro is running a spring special on some of the echomap lines.
    I have two 73 sv plus units. I'm blown away by the images, and I only have 3 hours on the units. My first di or si unit also. After all the stuff i read about birds being good at this, lowrance at that, and so on - I was a little Leary. Not anymore!
    I plan on going out tomorrow. If I remember I'll get some screenshots.
    My first trip, I had no issues picking out a tree, or school of fish. I even caught one, just to verify what I was seeing.
    Call bbg marine, very helpful.
    I've called Garmin support a couple of times, I've always spoken to a person I could understand! This is very important to me. They've been more than helpful and patient.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.
    Likes Hat55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro is having a “triple crown” sale on the 16th where you get money back and free instillation on fishfinders. I think they have a 9 inch garmin with si for around 600 with a map included.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Garmin Striker 7sv for 399.99