HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided line.

In my elderly days I've lost some sensitivity in my hands. I think I'm going to braided line for all my bottom or suspending lures. Might use a fluorocarbon leaders. Even while fishing for crappies.
    Any thoughts, good or bad.
    Thanks

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I use braid 100% of the time. I think you will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes ozarks ranger, callmecamo LIKED above post
    Thanks mac thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use a different line leader or tie direct?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12lb braid 100 percent of the time but do use a four or five foot fluorocarbon leader(8lb) for abrasion resistance. I am just jigging 3/16oz or heavier jigs though, very sensitive setup, but may not work for your style of fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Thanks mac, Alphahawk thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I do not fish brushy or timbered waters up here, so I go pretty light. Being 73, I agree, sensitivity is lost to arthritis and age. For me, there is nothing better than Fireline Crystal (I use 2# test on all my rods) for my main line. Great casting distances, strength, no worries about twisting and sensitivity that has to be felt to be appreciated.

To the end I tie about a 4' fluorocarbon leader testing at 4 lbs.. The 2# test main line is stronger than this leader, which, through trial & error, I found to compliment each other quite well. This leader gives me the abrasion resistance needed, along with a little shock absorbing stretch. I connect the leader with the Alberto knot, which is not as hard to master as some might lead you to believe. This combination has worked out quite well for me.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes crp4570, Central Minn LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out using 20 lb power pro yellow braid which has the line dia of 10 lb mono quite a few years ago cranking with my line counter reels. Now have dropped down to 10 lb power pro braid which has the line dia of 6 lb mono for cranking. This winter, loaded all my jiggin reels for long lining jigs and casting with a blue 6 lb cabellas brand braid of which is equal to 1 lb mono dia. I never use a leader of mono as most lakes I fish are stained to muddy water but I do have one lake that is gin clear and use a 6 ft clear mono leader on it of vanish brand in 4 lb test. With braid, I loose less baits and prefer the tight line it gives me with no stretch. I have no problems in catching crappie, bass, cats, walleye, and occasional hybrids and stripers, all fish for that matter. I am strictly a artificial bait user and haven’t used live bait in years and my catch rate is totally unaffected in using braid. I also find braid lasts longer than mono as some of my reels have been loaded with same braid over 5 yrs. You can get more life out of braid if you unspool it and reverse it and reload on your reels giving you longer life. As for getting rid of line twists, quite a few times a year, I take off baits on,line let it all out while running the boat 2-3 mph and drag the line thru the water for 10-15 minutes and then slowly respool while dragging thru water. It will unkink and get rid of line twists and keep your line more fresh to fish with. I’m sold on braid. I store my rods/reels garaged in boat out of the sun as well.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 lb with 2 lb diameter tie straight to jig 90 percent use 1/16 oz head. You can vertical jig or long line with it. The small dia. Works to allow for the line to pass thru the eye 2 times easy enough .2 cents worth your mileage may vary

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 32 and I use braid almost exclusively. I don't use a leader line and just tie with a palomar knot. Simple, effective.
    Likes INTIMIDATOR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10# Powe Pro with 6-8# flourocarbon leader. I haven't been using this very long for crappie, I've used braid with a leader for several years for bass. So far it's been great but can be aggravating when you break the leader off and have to re tie.

Post Thanks / Like

6 lb Fireline Crystel here tied directly to the jig crappie and walleye, I use a small clip when casting/trolling cranks so I can switch lures easier/faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast