Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drilling Holes in New Ranger

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drilling Holes in New Ranger

Just got my new Ranger and I love it...but I need to make it into a crappie fishing machine. I purchased Driftmaster T bars and bases and I plan to put them in this week...Before I start drilling in the bow of my new boat, do any of you have experience or suggestions about drilling in a fiberglass deck? Any reason why I shouldn't just drill and set the screws? Any advice would be appreciated.

crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

OUCH! Is there any other way? Once drilled always drilled. Suction mounts? Pole mount? I just hate to think about seeing clear-coat, glitter, and fiberglass turn to white power on a new boat. But it's your boat and you need it to work for you. Still I would drill at last resort. even to the extent of having mounts placed into the boat to match the surrounding area. Screws in fiberglass have a tendency to wiggle loose over time and moisture leaking through to areas it don't belong, or pulling out leaving flakes broke around them.
    If you must drill, put masking tape over the area you are drilling and use a sharp high speed drill. and use a bolt washer and non loosening nut with a dab of two part epoxy around the hole.

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

can you mount on the seat pedestal? Like this??

Post Thanks / Like

I know what your getting at by not wanting to drill. But it sucks if your rig doesn't work the way you need it to. I'm not sure which Ranger you have, I've drilled many holes in them, and there shouldn't be anything under the casting deck, EXCEPT the rod box dividers. These do not come out , so you will need to "waller" your holes to make some things fit. I always put a bit of resin on the screws and tighten them to keep them tight. I've put extra seat bases, gps receivers, rod holders,etc. in glass boats, using the resin and haven't lost anything yet. There is a pvc wire guide down one side of a Ranger, I don't think it will be an issue for you though. Oh yeah measure everything before you cut holes! My rod holders are 23 inches from the seat, some I've put in are 18, others maybe 26. Make sure its comfortable and easy to use.

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Drill, Don't Drill

You can mount those rod holders safe and secure and not drill or scratch your boat. Just go to www.extremefishingconcepts.com and check out my bases. These bases are designed to work on your boat. DON'T DRILL.

Post Thanks / Like

Best just to close your eyes, drill a big hole somewhere you know you
    don't want it - then it's out of your system and you can quit worrying
    about it Nah, really, I hate drilling on even a new aluminum boat -
    I don't envy you the task of "first hole" in a Ranger.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association