Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating or stationary boat shed & lift

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating or stationary boat shed & lift

Trying to decide which is best for my location. Shallow water at seawall requires me to put boat shed 10’ off seawall. We have had unusual flooding in last 2 years; 19’,20’,17’ rises. More common are 5’ to 10’. Normally have very minor water current but the three major floods had swift current that reminds me of white river and little red river. I am on the edge of boat lane so I have significant boat wakes. Plus wind driven waves: 10 to 20 mph whitecaps frequent; 5 to 10 mph when not higher, except calm in dead of summer.

Any experiences and recommendations on fixed vs floating boathouse and/ or overhead vs hydro hoist type boat lifts?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't see how you could build one stationary that would handle a 20' rise.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Neighbors have stationary about 1’ above 3’ seawall. Only about 18” of roof was exposed during the 20’ rise. It has survived but is not usable with more than 3’6” rise. The bank above the seawall has a narrow flat area then rises at 15 degrees. A 40’ catwalk from dock to shore only handles a 7’ rise, which is about 3’ more rise than my neighbors fixed boat house. Fishing and other water recreation pretty much ceases when we have more than 3’ rise. With fixed boathouse, boats must be trailered or they will be trapped inside boathouse. And boat lift motors will be submerged. With floating boathouse boats can remain in boathouse. But they are about 75 ‘ from dry land in a 20’ rise. It is very possible that I will never see another 16’ plus rise in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I live on Kentucky Lake, every year, we have a 5' change, summer to winter, plus flood conditions can add +5 or more.
    i have floating dock, and hydrohoist. Floating dock, with extra long spud poles are my only, and best option.
    i think the hydrohoist is practically maintenance free, while the overhead lifts, are not.
    My only experience on the overhead lifts is one neighbor, so those with experience should provide input.

Post Thanks / Like

Did not know this site does not display inch and foot symbols. The numbers 18 and 36 in the previous post were inches

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lane47– what is your experience with wind driven whitecapped waves. Are you comfortable that the boat, the lift, and the boathouse will not be damaged

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to go with a floating system. Go with ABS plastic encased or floating concrete. Styrofoam will water long in time
    and muskrats and beaver love to dig into it. You will be able to hear the young crying in their cosy new home.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappy fisher View Post
    Thanks Lane47– what is your experience with wind driven whitecapped waves. Are you comfortable that the boat, the lift, and the boathouse will not be damaged

my dock is on the east side of the Big Sandy impoundment, facing west. There is a 2 mile section of water and mud flat for the predominantly SW wind to howl across.

ive had no damage to my current lift, the pontoon boat on it, or the boathouse in 7 years.

i did have a second hydrohoist lift, old style, with fiber glass floats. One of the floats did crack, then break in half.
    The new style hydrohoist floats are plastic of some type, I do not worry about them.

The hydrohoist lift has very few moving parts, nothing to fail, air and gravity does all the work. I would not consider the overhead winch style system, after seeing all the issues of my neighbor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lane47. Stormcloud, I will avoid the styrofoam floats; I try to feed the gators as little as possible

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Lane47. We have a hydrohoist. No problems and my boat stays out on the life year round except for maintenance. I live in a high traffic area on West Sandy Creek. Our dock has withstood numerous straight line winds of over 80 mph. Wish I could say that about our trees.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast