PDA

View Full Version : jig heads

whiplash
01-25-2005, 09:15 AM
how many of you compared colored heads to plain lead heads when using tubes ? most days I can,t see much difference ---seems if their biting good the plain works and if I have to work and scratch for a fish does,nt seem to matter
I always use a two colored tube so maybe the colored head just makes it a three colored rig ?
but I,ve never been too smart anyway
whiplash :confused:

bentpole
01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm like you when they are biting good it don't matter that much,But I think it does when the bite is slow.I've tried it over the years just to see for myself.And then it did make a diff-(IMO),just last week was on fish good using a red head,Orange & Chartreuse tube .changed to a black head then a chartreuse head.They definitely liked the red better.>>>>Bentpole

crappieseeker
01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Yes, it definately makes a difference to me. I wont hardly ever fish a painted head. I catch 100 to 1 on non painted.

Kokanee King
01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
non painted are cheaper, thats what i go by.

TAE73
01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I paint them myself with the vinyl paint, yes the fumes can get bad at times. But its good way to get away from everything and chill out. And the paint isnt to expensive, I bought some tonight the 4oz bottle was 6.59 with tax. I would say that, that one bottle would paint 500-600 jigs. Maybe more or could be less, never really counted it out.

GABoy
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I have never used un-painted, but and some days....IMO the color does matter, but who am I to say...I am not a crappie....

Kokanee King
01-25-2005, 10:30 PM
neither am i, but sometimes my girlfreind says i am.

Moose1am
01-26-2005, 02:31 AM
I used and still use the plain lead head jigs that I get from the discount stores. But here lately I tried two new jig heads. The Oldhams that I liked and the TeeZur 3/16oz Chartruse jig head. I added some black with chartruse tails BPS Squirmin Squirts to the jig heads and started catching some nice Patoka Lake crappie this last Novemeber after the Teezur tournament.

I was pleased with the results that I got when I used the Teezurs jig head and also like using the Oldham jig heads as they were weedless.

In a way I wish that it was possible to combine the two produces best features into one jig head. I like the way the paint is applied to the Teezur jig head and I love the flattened heads with the Prism eyes. Combine that with the wire weed guard that Oldham uses and you have the best of both worlds.

bentpole
01-26-2005, 06:41 AM
TAE73:Ever us the powder paint? That is what I use, It's fast & dry's almost instantly.I don't know how many a bottle will paint,But I use a lot of jig's & I mean alot (LOL),havn't used a bottle yet.>>>>Bentpole

TAE73
01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Yes I have used the powdered paint before. I use strickly weedless heads, so having to bake them shys me away from powdered paint.

Moose, I will tell you a trick that I do for my round weedless head. I use the vinyl paint so I will dip them in primer first. Let them dry then take them in a small table vise and smash the head just flat enough to the size of the prism eyes. Then I paint them to the color I want. After they dry, then stick the eyes to them. And then dip them in clear coat, I dont loose to many eyes this way.

CrappiePappy
01-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Oldham's Surelock Weedless jigheads for 15+ years, and they're unpainted. Been using P&S Tackle weedless jigheads for the last couple of years, and they're unpainted. I've had very good success with them both.
I also use Roadrunner and Crappie Magic jigheads/jigs ... both are painted, and they work very well, also.
Most of the waters that I fish are "stained", as in a solid chartreuse jig will disappear from site in less than 3ft from the surface.
Brand new, fresh out of the pack, unpainted lead jigheads are shiny and silver in color. Old, and previously used ones are a dull grey. Both seem to work with equal success.
I am generally of the mindset, that - if I ain't catching Crappie from the spot I'm fishing ... it's probably more of a case of me being in the wrong spot, than using or not using a particular color of jig or jighead ...LOL!! ...cp

GABoy
01-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Sounds like Moose you need to open a new business....call them the Moose Heads!!!

Bruce Carp
01-26-2005, 10:28 AM
crappiepappy, i agree with you. About 95% of all I use are homemade jigheads 1/16 no paint and if not catching fish i move to a better location. Works most of the time. Bruce

Moose1am
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
LOL now that sounds like a good name. :)

GABoy
01-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I figured you might like that!!

I would buy some!

Think about it....you have Road-Runners, Moose-Heads, who wouldn't want to buy a Moose-Head over a Road-Runner???

Grillgod
01-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Where can you get Oldhams jigheads ? I need some and cannot find them anywhere.

CrappiePappy
01-27-2005, 08:28 AM
you can contact Terry Oldham by phone or mail.
The toll free ph# is 1-800-596-2436
The mailing address is:
Oldham's Lures, Inc
100 University Road
Wimberley, Tx 78676-5735

Be sure and ask for the "Sure-lock" Weedless Crappie jighead ! Note- it only comes in 1/16oz - but it's the best one for tubes and grubs.
He does make another weedless jighead, called the "Speedloader", that comes in 1/32 & 1/16oz. But, it's shaped like the end of a baseball bat (kind of an "insert" head shape). I don't think it's really made to "insert", though ... as the wire loop guard is not really strong enough to punch thru a tube jig. I've used them before - but, mainly for use with a minnow or Shad.

Please tell him you heard about his jigs on this site, and tell him I sent you. He's been a generous Sponsor of our tournaments, and I'd like to keep it that way ...LOL!!! .............luck2ya ...............cp :cool: