Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jig heads

whiplash Guest

Default jig heads

how many of you compared colored heads to plain lead heads when using tubes ? most days I can,t see much difference ---seems if their biting good the plain works and if I have to work and scratch for a fish does,nt seem to matter
    I always use a two colored tube so maybe the colored head just makes it a three colored rig ?
    but I,ve never been too smart anyway
    whiplash

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like you when they are biting good it don't matter that much,But I think it does when the bite is slow.I've tried it over the years just to see for myself.And then it did make a diff-(IMO),just last week was on fish good using a red head,Orange & Chartreuse tube .changed to a black head then a chartreuse head.They definitely liked the red better.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it definately makes a difference to me. I wont hardly ever fish a painted head. I catch 100 to 1 on non painted.

Post Thanks / Like

non painted are cheaper, thats what i go by.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I paint them myself with the vinyl paint, yes the fumes can get bad at times. But its good way to get away from everything and chill out. And the paint isnt to expensive, I bought some tonight the 4oz bottle was 6.59 with tax. I would say that, that one bottle would paint 500-600 jigs. Maybe more or could be less, never really counted it out.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used un-painted, but and some days....IMO the color does matter, but who am I to say...I am not a crappie....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

neither am i, but sometimes my girlfreind says i am.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I used and still use the plain lead head jigs that I get from the discount stores. But here lately I tried two new jig heads. The Oldhams that I liked and the TeeZur 3/16oz Chartruse jig head. I added some black with chartruse tails BPS Squirmin Squirts to the jig heads and started catching some nice Patoka Lake crappie this last Novemeber after the Teezur tournament.

I was pleased with the results that I got when I used the Teezurs jig head and also like using the Oldham jig heads as they were weedless.

In a way I wish that it was possible to combine the two produces best features into one jig head. I like the way the paint is applied to the Teezur jig head and I love the flattened heads with the Prism eyes. Combine that with the wire weed guard that Oldham uses and you have the best of both worlds.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73:Ever us the powder paint? That is what I use, It's fast & dry's almost instantly.I don't know how many a bottle will paint,But I use a lot of jig's & I mean alot (LOL),havn't used a bottle yet.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have used the powdered paint before. I use strickly weedless heads, so having to bake them shys me away from powdered paint.

Moose, I will tell you a trick that I do for my round weedless head. I use the vinyl paint so I will dip them in primer first. Let them dry then take them in a small table vise and smash the head just flat enough to the size of the prism eyes. Then I paint them to the color I want. After they dry, then stick the eyes to them. And then dip them in clear coat, I dont loose to many eyes this way.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast