HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SI/DI/GPS for bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default New SI/DI/GPS for bow

I am sure everyone has different opinions, but I would like some input.
    I am able to spend 600-800 on a new machine. I want the transducer to mount on the trolling motor. I don't want to spend that much money and still have to buy another transducer or something else. I am learning to spider rig and need all the help I can get from down and side imaging. GPS with preferably built in maps. I guess you could say I want it all in one machine. I am going to Bass Pro in the morning , the Academy here has no one with knowledge or stock.
    Thanks..........Go

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Brian at BBG Marine. He has a special on Helix unit right now within yor price range.

http://bbgmarine.com/humminbird-heli...o-p-23563.html
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes kf4udl, ad1974, crappy fisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think no one sonar can do everything as you want. I do think you are doing the right thing as to go to Bass Pro and get a hands on look at them. Now understand they are never as good as the demo pictures but they are pretty close and getting better every year. Now I think you will find that the bigger the screen size you can afford will be a big plus as being able to see what the sonar is showing. Now once you find one that you think you like at the store it would be even more helpful to find someone with one like it and go with them to see just how good it is out on the lake. This is my 2 cents worth and that won't cost you nothing. Good luck with your sonar selection and I will be looking forward to seeing some sonar fish pictures in the future.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes kf4udl, crappy fisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind used there are plenty of them out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex
    Likes kf4udl LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a Lowrance hook2 5 tripleshot. It cost me $400 and does everything that you’re wanting. You may want to step up to a larger screen.

The unit that I have has improved my fishing tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

is it possible to SI with just a trolling motor effectively would be my question . seems they don't work well going slowly to me ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    is it possible to SI with just a trolling motor effectively would be my question . seems they don't work well going slowly to me ?
    I don't have one on the bow, so I am not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes crappy fisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam6467 View Post
    I just purchased a Lowrance hook2 5 tripleshot. It cost me $400 and does everything that you’re wanting. You may want to step up to a larger screen.

The unit that I have has improved my fishing tremendously.

that's the unit I'm looking at...not many reviews out there yet though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman View Post
    that's the unit I'm looking at...not many reviews out there yet though
    I haven’t put more than 5 hours on mine yet, but it’s been pretty good for me. It’s my first with side imaging, so I’m still getting used to it.

The DI is really a huge step up from my previous Lowrance DI unit. The field of view is wider, and the image quality seems to be much more crisp.

I got the Hook2 5 tripleshot because I had a budget of $500 or less. I’ve always been a Lowrance guy, so I never even looked at Humminbird units.

The only issue that I have is that the lower unit of my evinrude 40 horse is in the way of the side imaging transducer when tilted all the way down. I don’t have electric tilt, so I have to manually lift the motor a few inches when I get to an area I’d like to scan.

That’s not a Lowrance problem, it’s just the simple fact that there is no place to mount the transducer and not be interferes with by the lower unit.

I’ll post some images one of these days from my unit if I can figure out how!

Thanks captaincaveman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I currently run the helix 5 Si G2N on my trolling motor. It works great as long as you're trolling straight. With that being said, I am in the process of building a bracket to remove the transducer from the trolling motor but stay on the bow. Also, get the biggest you can afford. I've had the 5 for 4 months and am about to upgrade to a helix 9 mega Si.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast