Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rattling Bobbers

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Rattling Bobbers

I saw Hank Parker's TV show and he was crappie fishing this week. They swore that they were catching crappie because they were using rattling bobbers. They took regular plastic bobbers, drilled a hole in them, placed some bb sized sinkers in them, and then used some epoxy to reseal them. They were catching some nice slabs. I am not sure if the rattles made any difference or more likely, they were in a good honeyhole. But, the rattles could make a difference at times. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    I saw Hank Parker's TV show and he was crappie fishing this week. They swore that they were catching crappie because they were using rattling bobbers. They took regular plastic bobbers, drilled a hole in them, placed some bb sized sinkers in them, and then used some epoxy to reseal them. They were catching some nice slabs. I am not sure if the rattles made any difference or more likely, they were in a good honeyhole. But, the rattles could make a difference at times. What do you guys think?

I found an article last year on that subject in the tip section of an outdoor magazine. I had a bunch of round plastic floats, so I made a dozen or so to try them out. As it worked out, the fish were biting so good the three trips I made using them, I couldn't tell any difference between the rattlers and the empty ones. I plan on trying again this spring, I'll post my results.

Post Thanks / Like

Several articles have been written on the subject of sound attracting fish. I'm not sure what the fish think the sound its but must me something that is objectionable. In bass fishing I have had better luck with lures that had noise associated wtih their action, sure the same applies to all species.

Fish have a superior sense of smell and hearing over us humans, so it really makes sense to me that the noise of a BB rattling around in bobber could direct fish to lure or minnow better than just a lure/minnow with out rattle.

Be interesting to set up two poles rigged the same except one has bobber with rattle and the other has same bobber with no rattle. See which one consistantly has more fish.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    Several articles have been written on the subject of sound attracting fish. I'm not sure what the fish think the sound its but must me something that is objectionable. In bass fishing I have had better luck with lures that had noise associated wtih their action, sure the same applies to all species.

Fish have a superior sense of smell and hearing over us humans, so it really makes sense to me that the noise of a BB rattling around in bobber could direct fish to lure or minnow better than just a lure/minnow with out rattle.

Be interesting to set up two poles rigged the same except one has bobber with rattle and the other has same bobber with no rattle. See which one consistantly has more fish.

Just got the new BPS fishing sale catalog and they have a Bomber Fat "A" series they does rattles 1¼" lgth 1/8oz
    Would this lure work?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried the rattles, but I have found that at times I had good results from dropping the lure and float hard into the water, making plenty of noise and splash. It seemed to get their attention. I'm thinking the rattles would serve the same purpose.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    Just got the new BPS fishing sale catalog and they have a Bomber Fat "A" series they does rattles 1¼" lgth 1/8oz
    Would this lure work?
    Thanks duane, now I have to go to BPS and buy something else. I'm sure that they would work. I use the Bitsy Pond Minnows to catch crappie and bream. Throw the lure to the bank and start on the outside of the treelap and work your way in. The crappie will nail it right after you bump a limb. These little crankbaits are fairly snagless too.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Judas Minnow

I'm going out tonite in muddy water. I don't know if the lites are gonna help much but I'm gonna try a trick we used to use nitefishin trout. You take a minnow and hook it thru the back.It can either be attached to a rod or just a piece of line tied to a cleat. Let the minnow down so he just gets in the water but is not completely submerged. Usually the minnow will keep struggling and splashing on the surface. Other baitfish hear the splashing and think one of their bros has found something to eat. They head to the sound to check it out. The crappies hear the splashing and feel the vibrations given off by the schooling bait and bingo--you're catchin fish!
    I will also be using my special double secret muddy water rigging system tonite. I bet I don't catch squat
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Be positive kunes - from the way ole Hank was talking it shouldn't matter if you only have 1 rattle bobber if your lines are close together because when they come to investigate the rattle thay find the bait - they was using jigs under the bobbers- he was fishing with Sam Heaton - it was Sam's secret
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    Be positive kunes - from the way ole Hank was talking it shouldn't matter if you only have 1 rattle bobber if your lines are close together because when they come to investigate the rattle thay find the bait - they was using jigs under the bobbers- he was fishing with Sam Heaton - it was Sam's secret
    Thanks for the positive attitude advice crap-king. Went out and ended up with about 4 more than sqwat
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation and not only do they have ....

bobbers with shot in them ... they also make a bobber that has a concave bottom - supposed to be lifted and dropped to make a "pop" sound on the water's surface ...LOL!!
    Most of the time, when I'm using any kind of float - it's a styrofoam or balsa one. Generally because I'm using a minnow, and fishing fairly shallow ... I want "stealth" over ruckus :D

I've seen Jimmy Houston vertically jig a Roadrunner - and catch Crappie out of standing timber and along side of bridge pylons. Could he have caught those same fish, using a plain old jig ...probably Do I think people can catch Crappie with a "rattling" bobber, or "popping" bobber .... yep !! Do I think they will catch more than they would have, without the "noise" ... probably not. But, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I've also heard of an "oldtimers" trick - of holding two rounded creek stones underwater, and tapping them together ... to draw fish to the spot. NOW - has anyone here tried that little trick ? I haven't ... I was taught to be "quiet" and "still" while Crappie fishing from a boat....LOL!! Then again, maybe my Grandparents just wanted some peace and quiet ...LOL!!

I hope that the "rattle" bobber users will keep us informed, as to their use and success ........... luck2ya ..............cp