Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The myths .....

Post Thanks / Like

Default The myths .....

A lot of times as a person who chases crappie around town and goes in all sorts of weather conditions I see some terrible situations that MANY anglers use as an excuse when they have an outing that is less than expected . I pay little or no attention to weather patterns and or barometric pressure either . Wind from whatever direction matters not as well . Sometimes I do in fact not ketch fish at rate I consider good and sometimes I have heck even ketchn just one crappie .
    But all that said I firmly think that if you don't ketch them its something you have not done right in the equation . Either presentation or location are two of the main factors in most cases from what I see and then sometimes bait size and color have a decided effect on the outcome as well if you are an avid artificial person like myself .
    So not to hurt anyone's feelings remember this , crappie are feeding machines and will almost always bite even under the utmost of poor conditions . They know no boundaries on feeding time and simply are not bright fish . The myth that they don't like a high barometer is just that and the same thing goes along with fronts pushing in from several directions in just hours as well . Low barometric pressure is another myth in my opinion as well . I find that in a lot of cases when folks are going on about there was NO bite today here or there because of the barometer reading that I found them quite cooperative in the areas they said there wasn't a bite .
    I am by know means any kind of expert on this subject and just enjoy the pursuit of these fish , but to be sure 99.99% of the time there is a bite somewhere on some local water body no matter what the weather angler folks say .
    Yesterday some kind of front came thru and the temperature went down and the wind went from hard south to a fairly strong north and in the same location as the day before the fish bit in almost the exact same numbers . I am fairly sure the barometer was likely crazy and yet the fish didn't notice ? To further complicate and prove the myth of the barometer thing all the fish were found VERY shallow .
    Stay tuned and don't always believe what you hear and or read as fact , less than accurate information abounds in the world of the ever elusive crappie fish ....
    none of the fish amounted to much on either visit in these conditions the last 2 days but to be sure the deciding factor on this is the onslaught on fishermen taking home all the keeper size fish in that area . The numbers though were very similar ....
    have a nice day and good luck on your next adventure .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there are many factors that impact our ability to catch crappie. I agree that a lot of the factors are directly related to the fisherman not the fish.
    That is part of the challenge and why it is exciting when we solve the puzzle.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. U have to put a minner in the water to get bit!

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows! Best bet to catch crappie anytime, anywhere. The barometric pressure and water temp affected the crappie bite the other day. I know because all the conditions were the same as the day before EXCEPT the barometer so I know it played a role.
    As for feeding anytime, that is true but in colder conditions they usually feed at sun break. The sun will warm the water making them less lethargic but still slow.
    There are no "set" ways to fish for crappie but having experience or getting helpful tips from other anglers will help you fill your mind with crappie tactics and you will fill your cooler with more crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The myths .....

I hear and see folks canceling trips based on weather conditions a lot (barometric pressure, fronts, etc.). My philosophy has always been go fishing when you get the chance. Sure, they may feed more from one trip to the next, but you can't catch them at home. I've always thought that each and every day the fish are biting somewhere on a lake or body of water, you just have to find them. There's been times when I've struck out, but there's been times when I've figured out a piece to the puzzle too. Just have to go and fish. Time on the water is the most valuable tool to increase your catches. Experience, experience, experience

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Hooking up every chance I get!
    Likes sinkermaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree there biting somewhere all the time. My only thing is are they biting good a nuff to waste the gas to go. I can usually catch a few regardless of conditions and going on bad days will make you a better fishermen. I believe we learn more on bad days if you're willing to hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

There will always be days that it seems you can't buy a bite. They will be days when it seems you just can't do nothing wrong as you just load the boat. I don't believe anyone always catches fish every time they go fishing or they just don't go very often. If they do they need to be in tournament fishing making the big bucks. Even the tournament fishermen get skunked every now and then. The most important thing that is to just have fun and enjoy when you can go fishing.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

All good information and have to agree with all. I have had days I still remember and went back the next day armed to the hilt and not got a fish. Some days you catching some days you fishing. One thing for sure is you have to be out there to catch a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Brother and I did not catch many fish this winter as we are still trying to figure out the changed situation caused by the cold and other issues. What we did find by going out anyway was a better understanding of winter fishing AND we found some of the most beautiful structure that we marked for some excellent opportunities for the upcoming year. Catching is great but just getting out on the water and enjoying our creation is always good.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic! Go when you can, as long as conditions are safe, and make the best of it. That's the only way you will become a fisherman. I knew a guy once who told me several times he wanted me to take him fishing. The catch was, he only wanted to go when they were "really biting good". Long story cut short...I never called him because I can't predict when they are gonna "bite good". He passed away a few years back without ever making a single trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease