Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD for small child

Post Thanks / Like

Post PFD for small child

I have a 3 year old girl that is about 3 feet tall and 30 pounds. I've already told her she could go fishing with daddy when it gets a little warmer. Just wondering if anybody has any input on the best life jacket before I start searching. Thanks.
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

I've have three different II pfds for my little kids, I will not put them in type III pfds. We have one cheap ones from Bass Pro and one from Ollies that work fine. We also have one "Stearns head up vest" that is much nicer, and was less than $40.

Post Thanks / Like

Between nieces, nephews, and grandkids, I've had toddlers here at the lake for 3 years now. Each one seems too be a little different. Take her to a Walmart, find one rated correctly, that she likes, and that fits her well. There are plenty of safe, quality, and well fitting at very reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not worried about price but it has to be safe and apparently pink! Because green and blue are for boys.
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

I'd grab her a pink type III pfd then, before she finds out they have designs and your doing a pfd fashion show. My kids call the head flotation part "the pillow" and use it to take naps.

FWIW we looked at the Mustang brand at Cabelas, and they didn't like them, but I can't remember why. They were the most expensive ones too. My middle daughter inherently knows and usually likes whatever cost the most, but didn't 'wike it.'

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with neoprene life vests. The neoprene ones don't seem to bunch up like the nylon. Seems to hold the inner foam better. They dry a lot quicker. My girls thought they were more comfortable too.
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do NOT recommend a type III vest for a child.

https://www.boatus.org/life-jackets/types/

Go to a quality store that has a LARGE selection of vests. Walmart has vests, but not a large selection. Just several designs and sizes from the same company.
    The key in all of this is obvious. Get one that is the safest and that they WILL WEAR!
    For my daughter, like Sup, I purchesed neoprene. It was not cheap. It fit comfortably, was light weight, and kept her warm.

She has been on the water with me since she was 3. From rough seas in Lake Huron and Erie to calm inland lakes. The key to success is to lead by example. If you perform the "Do as I say, not as I do mentality" you soon will have someone like most boaters (not wearing a vest).

This might mean (if you do not already do so) to invest in a good quality vest for yourself and wear it all the time. My mindset changed twice in the last 10 years. I started tournament fishing which required the wear of one when the big motor was in motion. It forced me to wear one which in turn allowed me to get comfortable with it. Eventually, I didn't notice it was on. The second (and most important) my daughter. Yes, if she is wearing one, she is protected, but.... what if something happened to me? What if I fell out? What if I had an emergency? What if I need to go in after her? By wearing one myself, it negated the thought process.

While on the subject, teach your child about safety on the water. What to do in case of an emergency. Who to call. How to call. What do with the boat. On the big water, my daughter (now 11) knows that she needs to hit this button on the trolling motor, this button on my DSC (distress call on my radio) which marks a spot of MOB on my GPS, sends that signal to ANYONE else running a DSC connection to their fish finder (including the coast gaurd). She then knows to change to make a distress call on the local radio chanel, read the location on the screen, and then switch over to chanel 16 and hail the coast gaurd.

Is it a lot of information? Yes, but if something happens to me, it might just save her life. Or mine!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes EWS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with not using a type 3. I meant a type 2.
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Type 2 it is. I already wear one anytime I'm running the big motor and also when fishing and the water is less than 70 or so degrees. Dad had a buddy fall in while fishing and almost couldn't get himself back in the boat when the water was about 50. I'm 32 and fairly capable of pulling myself back in but with soaking clothes in cold water, not so sure. I don't really want to test it out. Thanks for the lengthy write up. Oh, and she's already seen the ones with the designs but they don't make many in type 2. The search is on. Thanks guys.
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  B8C1063C-AB62-4D34-8892-6DE6F9EE0B64.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  75.4 KB

We found this one at Ollies, which means they're no longer sold. But BP has about a half dozenish designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast