Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What's the difference. ( black or white )

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the difference. ( black or white )

Some what new to this, I know black crappie are found more in the deep south and white are found up north, other then that

Post Thanks / Like

Took this from another site

Black Crappie:IDENTIFICATION: Black crappie closely resemble white crappie, but have deeper bodies. Furthermore, their head, back and sides are mottled with dusky or black blotches. These blotches do not form vertical bands as on white crappie. The most reliable characteristic, however, is that black crappie have seven or eight dorsal spines.

White Crappie:IDENTIFICATION: White crappie are very compressed with a deep body. The back and sides have 5 to 10 black vertical bands. Their dorsal fin, anal fin, and tail contain a combination of dark spots and bands. The dorsal fin has 5 to 6 spines.

Hope this helps some!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help, but I was hoping for something more easy to remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in NC you can find both. I've caught several white crappie on High Rock Lake.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Actually, WBL ...

Quote Originally Posted by wbl2014
    Some what new to this, I know black crappie are found more in the deep south and white are found up north, other then that
    I was always under the impression that Black Crappie were more numerous in the far North, and coastal South. Well, I used to be under that impression, anyway
    But, in reality, due to stocking programs and transplantation ... the Black Crappie is available, to some degree, in all of the lower 48 states. White Crappie have a range from Eastern Canada, thru the Eastern portion of the USA ... and has been widely introduced in the West (USA).

Identification is sometimes difficult, especially when trying to tell them apart during the spawn. Male White Crappie, in spawning colors, look a lot like male or female Black Crappie. During the rest of the year, however, male and female White Crappie are distinguishable from Black Crappie, by the blue-green hue of the back and the vertical bar pattern of their black markings. Black Crappie have no pattern of black markings, other than they are covered with more evenly distributed "specs" or "blotches" of black coloration.
    White Crappie are more elongated, in shape, and the Black Crappie is more "round" shaped (higher back, deeper belly)

Which species/gender do you think these guys are :

Does this guy look more familiar ?? :

......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

ok then, firefighter, this following info is all you really gots to know if you live in florida----there are only blacks down here. also, no states have different limits for the two species, and they all taste the same.. count the dorsal spines if you must know.
    btw--where are you in fl ?? ND

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappiepappy the top two are whites and the bottom one is a black. We have both here in IL. Some lakes are stocked with more blacks and some have more whites but we have a combination of both.
    I'm not 100% sure on the gender the two whites look like females but the black I have a hard time telling.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Not so fast Naildriver .....

Quote Originally Posted by naildriver
    ok then, firefighter, this following info is all you really gots to know if you live in florida----there are only blacks down here. also, no states have different limits for the two species, and they all taste the same.. count the dorsal spines if you must know.
    btw--where are you in fl ?? ND
    This regulation is listed in the FWC Fisheries Management Rules and Regulations --- "25 Black Crappie (speckled perch) and/or white crappie, individually or in total"

And from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Institute :

"What kind of crappie do we have in Florida?
    There are two crappie species reported in Florida. The black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) is by far the most common species; it is found throughout the state. The white crappie (Pomoxis annularis) is reportedly located in two rivers in the panhandle."

Looks like ya'll gots both, too

..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Xtream .....

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Xtream
    Hey crappiepappy the top two are whites and the bottom one is a black. We have both here in IL. Some lakes are stocked with more blacks and some have more whites but we have a combination of both.
    I'm not 100% sure on the gender the two whites look like females but the black I have a hard time telling.

Crappie X.
    I don't have a clue :p what gender the bottom picture is ... just that it's a Black Crappie.
    I would be guessing about the two in the top picture, but my guess would be that they are males. Mostly because they are showing their "black" coloration ... a little more prominently than females usually do. It could just be that they're in a clear water, well lit aquarium (so they very well "could" be females) .... but, I'm more used to seeing females with less black, and more defined "Striping" or "saddle pattern" coloration. (like the ones in my Avatar, or the one in Jerry's post about the Crappie Camp Condo's). Some articles I've read, even say that male Black Crappie don't exhibit any extra (or more intense) coloration display, during spawning ... they keep their normal coloration pattern and intensity. It's the White Crappie Male that goes through the big changes, "putting on the tuxedo" so to speak.

There's both species in KY, Tenn, Ala ... the three states I fish. I have no trouble distinguishing between the two species, nor do I worry about it ...and like Naildriver says ... there's no difference in taste :D

..... cp

ps - I wasn't really asking the question in seriousness. I was just playing around with WBL2014 Actually, I wish he was already retired and living there on Watts Bar Lake ... so I could have another "connection" to that lake :D

..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Black crappie like clear water. White crappie like more muddy water. Black crappie stick to a more yearly water depth. Whites move up and down in the water column more and suspend. Black crappie are tolerant to brackish water and Whites are not. That is why you see the Black crappie in coastal areas more. They say Whites are easier to catch. I don't know because I live in a coastal area. Only have black crappie. I have caught crappie, flounder, puppy drum, LmB, and croakers all in the same area before. Weird fishing. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion