Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My first Weiss trip results

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first Weiss trip results

Just returned today from my first trip to Weiss Lake in Alabama. WHAT A CRAPPIE LAKE!!! I've fished Kentucky Lake, Barkley, Reelfoot, among others, never had a better numbers or average size trip than this one. Fished Wednesday 3/14 through Saturday. Even with cold weather and wind friday and Saturday and little knowledge of the lake, my dad and I managed 93 keepers in two and a half day, a lot pushing 2 pounds. Who knows how many total we caught just under 10". Here are a few pics. Believe me, the camera does these fish little justice:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just talked with a friend from church that had been to Weiss all week and he said it was awesome. He goes several times each spring and he said it was the best he'd done in several years. Big numbers and big fish.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I have been wanting to go to a good crappie lake sometime. Might have to check out this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get your info. to put you on the fish? Did you find them on dropoffs or what. May have to check this lake out in a couple of weeks. Thanks for any info. Noticed your from Ohio...made a long trip I see...must be something to it down there!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking catch. Congrats I'm sure the fish fry will taste great.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice very

Man i'm 2hrs away and still havent been, got get there
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Hope that my trip with my dad goes this good. Congrats...

Post Thanks / Like

We basically just went with what we know. Didn't really ask anybody for info on where to find them. After all, crappie are crappie no matter where they live, right? The water was 66-67 degrees Wednesday, so we knew we'd find them up tight around the docks, submerged trees, stakebeds, stumps, etc. After the cool down, we found them hanging on drop offs with cover on the creek channels, but still close to the shallower water, and close to the same depth. Most of the other boats we saw were longline trolling, but we like to cast to them when we can, and that worked Wednesday and Thursday, and then again Friday evening. We did troll a little Friday, but the majority of our fish came casting 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz jigs. Most of the fish came on chartreuse or yellow twistertails, though I did catch some on blue sliders when the mood changed with the cooler temps. I am a little stubborn in my lure choices sometimes and have my favorites, so I'm sure other colors and bodies work just as well or maybe better. The guys I talked to down there said they were hitting red/white or blue/white or blue/chartreuse good. It was a long drive, but it was worth it to fish such productive crappie waters.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

dontdoit Guest

I'm gonna pull the plug on your boat...J/K... Gr8t job...Keep the pics coming!!