Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait Recipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Recipe

Anyone got a good bait recipe to share?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

what ya trying to catch ? blues, flatheads channells ?

there is no man made "bait" that is better than fresh bait. best bet is to use what they eat if there were never any humans around. fresh shad, bluegill, minnows, crawdads, even nite crawlers in most cases are better than 99% of man made baits.

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

For channels and blues use anything from cut bait, (bream, shad, white perch, carp) to livers and worms. Shrimp also works.

For Flatheads use fresh live bait. Bluegill, goldfish, white perch, crappie, baby carp, or live shad/minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

i usually stick to the tried-and-true nightcrawler, occasionally throwing on an additional chucnk of redworm or even a wax worm if i have some left over-seems the smells and the sights are just too much for the N-ky catfish to bear. Have also had some luck with chicken livers, even better if they're a little on the ripened side. One of the local favorites also involves cheap dogfood, but i've not had to resort to looking too far down that alley.
    Anybody else out there got some good'ns to share??
    my .02
    gator

Post Thanks / Like

Five gallon bucket. Mix cheese, Ground shad, Any left over meats in the fridge. I have heard of using hog brains, but don't know where to buy them.
    Mix everything in your bucket being careful not to over fill (1/2 full is fine, It will swell). When everything is mixed well I mix in the final ingredients. Yeast and cattails (or cotton) I also add about a cup of table sugar to help with the fermenting.
    When it is done it will smell like soured Milo. It will make you some great punch bait for sure. If you don't like punch bait and prefer sponge bait leave out the cattails.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Take the remains of a catch from before and put it into a plastic garbage bag and the freeze it. When you go out the next time take the bag still frozen with you and empty the remains into the water where you want to fish at in a couple of hours. Also if you use chicken livers put them onto a disposable plastic plate, heat them up from 1min 30sec to 2 min covered with a paper towel. Put them back in the tub and you will have some of the toughest livers, and smelliest catfish lip smackin liversyou can not hardly throw off your hook!
    Difference between day and night: Day= one rod, one jig/Night= Many rods & a bucket full of minners

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy here that has 5 or 6 trot lines in Okatibbee and all he does for flathead is use big shiney hooks, no bait. I know this for a fact as I have been fishing close by when he ran a line and watched him shine the hooks with a rag and drop them back in the lake and he catches flatheads, last time I saw him he had 2 very nice ones.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    Sounds to me like that guy is using snag lines. Similar to trot lines but set up a bit different. The leaders are set up closer than normal and the leaders are generally made of 100# mono with the curl of the line and the hook set the same direction. Snag lines are illegal in most states that I know of. In fact I don't know of any states that allow them. Here there are reg's on how our lines can be set up ie. spacing between leaders and length of leaders.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen his trot lines and the drop look like standard trot line drops with cord to me. I don't know if there is anything on the rag but we have talked quite a few times and he has indicated to me that all he does is shine the hooks every day. I have seen a few of the cats and they were hooked in the mouth. Have never seen him with anything but flatheads. He could be pulling my leg tho.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PDF file of assorted bait recipies if you want it PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast