Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another jig casting rod question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another jig casting rod question.

So I have bought cheaper rods for years and I am ready to buy some quality gear. When I look at reviews on Cabela’s/basspro I see all these reviews from all types of rods breaking. I have never broken a rod in my life . My question is what do you guys use these days ? I know I want a 6’6-7 ft and have been looking at the st.croix premier but their warranty sounds a little silly and not sure they are worth the extra money. Any other options or opinions would be helpful. I plan on using a Pflueger president xt reel ,Haven’t determined which size yet. Stern crappie hi vis 6lb test.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton 10' B n M Sharp Shooter 6' and most all the other one's are Southern Crappie. 16'14'12'.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

You will not go wrongs with a BnM pole
    All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina
    Likes snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a 10’and 11’ B n M bucks crappie jig pole but haven’t heard much about their smaller rods for casting lite jigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Mitie light rods are a pretty good rod for the money. Crappiepappy swears by his ESP rods. Never fished one but good reviews and good pricing for a higher end rod.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-28-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use an older 6'6" lightning rod 2 piece that is way out of production. It balances perfect with a Diawa Capricorn 1500 series and casts a 1/32 forever. I've bought a lot of rods and by this time, brand makes no difference to me. I pick up a rod and see if it fits the bill for weight first, then action, then balance. Helps to have an idea of what you're looking for in action before you start. For casting I use a lot of 4lb line and with that said, I like extra spools that would allow the 6lb you stated. I prefer to have the reel I'm going to use with me and put it on the rod I like and see what it feels like.

I've handled high end rods that stated medium action that closely resembled a broomstick. Had light actions that would touch end to end. I like the St Croix 66lf 1 piece, you might give it a look while you're out snooping around.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes ford man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jascott765 View Post
    I know I want a 6’6-7 ft and have been looking at the st.croix premier but their warranty sounds a little silly and not sure they are worth the extra money.
    The Premier is a great rod, as are the St. Croix Panfish and Trout rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the premier, but the Triumph is worth the money. I used one for years until it got broken. It was my favorite rod.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite St Croix is the 6'3" Eyecon light which is marketed as a light Walleye jigging rod. Perfect for Crappie. I find it a much better action than the Premier. For me the pan fish rods are too wimpy. The Eyecon is a favorite for casting jigs. A little more $ but very worth it. I also have a 6'6" Fox River which is good also but I prefer the St Croix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IkenI View Post
    My favorite St Croix is the 6'3" Eyecon light which is marketed as a light Walleye jigging rod. Perfect for Crappie. I find it a much better action than the Premier. For me the pan fish rods are too wimpy. The Eyecon is a favorite for casting jigs. A little more $ but very worth it. I also have a 6'6" Fox River which is good also but I prefer the St Croix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I just looked it up. It is actually the same price right now at 119.00 how small of weight will it cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast