Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a rod/reel combo for 150.00

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me pick a rod/reel combo for 150.00

I am looking to pick up a quality spinning reel and rod with a budget of around 150.00. My main targets will be crappie and bluegill, but I would like it to have enough backbone to handle something somewhat larger should the need arise. Two reels that friends have suggested are the Shimano Symetre, and the Daiwa Theory. I am open to any suggestions, comments, etc. Thanks in advance, NRA

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Symetre is an excellent reel. As for a rod, when I am looking for a new one I go somewhere that has a large selection and start picking them up. I usually can tell immediately if I'm going to like it or not just from the feel. Everyone has their own touch as to what "feels" right to them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a GLoomis rods for sure. There are several nice reels out there for 40-50 bucks. I think my abu garcia was around forty from Wally world. Six ball bearing and smooth. Get a GLOOMIS rod. Once you get one...you won't fish anything else. PM me if you can't find a good price and I can put you in touch with the right people for the right price. Never met a man that "touched" a GLomis and didn't like it. They're so nice a dream about them!
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 03-18-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Symetre is a great reel. I have two that are over 10 years old -- still work great. They will run you about $80 which only leaves $70 for the rod. I like Loomis, too, but the GL2's start at around $110.

Other good options:

Quantum Xtralite
    Shimano Clarus
    Falcon FES
    St. Croix Premier

Bass Pro and Cabelas' house brands are nice, too. They both have a couple of models that fit your price range.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the symetre is an excellent reel. You may want to look at the cabelas ZX. Its made by diawa and is an excellent reel for the price

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

Or the Cabelas prodigy which is on sale right now also made by diawa. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

Or the Quantum Kinetic which has a couple feature that are unique that I really like. A magnetic bait trip that is the smoothest I've ever used and a titanium bail that can't be bent out of shape. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

For the rod I highly recommend St.Croix premier spinning rods in light or medium light power in 7 foot lengths. I've been using them for years and they are super sensitive and durable. They are also made in the USA.

I use a similar combo for almost everything I catch. Everything from panfish to salmon, steelhead, walleyes, bass, and muskies up to 50 inches, and all on 6 lb test line. I also have a lighter rig with a similar reel and a lighter rod for 4 lb test line for strictly crappies. It sure is fun to catch the bigger ones on it though. Take a look at BnM bucks ultimate for a lighter rod or a light or ultra light StCroix premier, and a 1000 size reel.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several Shimano Sedona's. Very smooth and you can pick one up for $49.95. That will leave you $110 for that GLoomis rod. Would be a great combo.
    But like what others have said, go look and pick them up and see how they feel to you.

Post Thanks / Like

You should look at BPS Extreme combo...with a 1000 Shimano stradic..I think they have them on sale for 139.00 right now. They are sweeet

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice- should I go no larger than the 1500 series reels?

Post Thanks / Like

hey i caught a 5 pound cat on a 10 year old shimano spirex 1000 today. they have a great smoth easily adjustable drag. 4 pound line btw. i think shimano is the wtg for reels. i dont think rods are as big a deal as reels, but i like im6, and hm graphite for most situations, and glass combo's for others. good luck--they will all catch fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nralover
    Thanks for the advice- should I go no larger than the 1500 series reels?
    It depends on what kind of fishing your going to be doing but an all around size for the systems I mentioned would be 2500 size for the 7 foot ML rods and a 1000 for the ultralites.

There is one exception and I currently fit into that category. I fish in a couple places where casting distance makes a difference. Larger spools cast further, so currently on my 7 ft St.Croix I'm using a 4000 quantum kinetic. The rig is not unbalanced at all and it will cast further with less line twist. If a few extra yards on casts isn't a big deal to you I suggest you stick to the 2500's.

For ultralites I prefer 1000's as opposed to the tiny ultralite reels. I've never seen any of those tiny ones that impressed my with quality
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast