HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold water jig colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold water jig colors

Do you use different jig colors when the water is extremely cold? As in 35-45 degrees? My go to colors are black/chart, white/chart, and green with black fleck, but in winter I seem to get more hits on colors like black/pink or black/red. Is this just what they like on a given day, or is there some science behind using different colors at different water temps?
    Thanks for any input
    Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes jim8861 LIKED above post
    Thanks FIN thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in the reservoirs of New England, I do not see color as much of a variable between the start of the season (ice out) through mid-summer. I believe a stronger contrast may be slightly beneficial in the spring, but I've never quantified that. Usually, if you have a couple of "stand-by" colors, you're pretty much good to go, regardless of the season.

Some excellent choices in my neck of the woods includes anything with some chartreuse in the pattern as well as the more shad like colors, such as albino shad or crystal ice. I have a huge assortment with me on any given day and I love to switch it off when the bite is hot, to see if color matters much. On some occasions it does.....others not so much.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Stained, muddy, clear = yes . Temperature ,I have never noticed . Would be interested in what the big guns say .

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with your go to colors for how clear or stained water is or cloudy day verses blue bird skies etc.
    In cold water temps just tip it with minnows!
    Sometimes it is better to feed them than fool them!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!
    Likes Jman5626, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Water temps never dictate what color i pitch , i look at jigs in the water to see what level of visibility they have and or go with what feels right to me ,i typically carry about 3 main colors in my pocket all year long

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much carry every color in the rainbow in my boat! Throw in different sizes, styles, plastic, feather, spinner,and so on. I maybe use five on a regular basis

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I carry many colors, I keep in mind that the fish are oriented to bait balls and use a natural colored presentation. Double silver Bobby Garland and tipped with chartreuse spike it. The most important thing I found in low temps is an almost motionless presentation. The occasional lift of the tip resulted in almost no fish, whereas the occasional 1" drop of the tip helped some. I'm guessing the drop reacted slower.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Winter time ,Water temps from 39-40 deg on top of the water! Like to adjust my jighead weights rather than colors a light color shad color on sunny warm days,White/chart,Red/chart,orange/chart vs cloudy cool days black/Chart,Purple/chart,Blue.chart.Fished last friday had been catching on a 1/8,1/16 oz jig head,nothing no bites.New the were their!! Switched to a 1/32 oz and a 1/24 oz jighead bam game on left them biting!! Some friends had fished the brushpile with minnow's they caught" 1 14 in crappie"!!Left said they weren't biting.LOL.The crappie wanted a reaction bite,slow fall lite jighead!!Used same colors white/chart just a liter jighead. Tons of shad all around wanted an easy meal.Hope this helps.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Jman5626, FIN LIKED above post