Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing mid-life crisis... time for some new gear??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Facing mid-life crisis... time for some new gear??

I may be young compared to many here.... I'll be 40 in a few weeks. I haven't done any *real* fishing for a few years. In fact, I really haven't had a hobby in about 8 or so. I'm burned out and want to get back into crappy and catfishing. Already have some big guns for cats but want to finish out a light rig for the little guys. A few years ago I had bought a 7.5' Crappy rod from Cabelas that was never spooled up. It came with a reel that I feel is too big for what I want to do (Quantum Triax 20??)

So, if it was your birthday, and you had a few bucks to spend on a reel and maybe a few extra gizmos, what would you get? Not loyal to any one brand, but we have a local shop that carries Shimanos plus I've loved my upper end Phluegers.

Post Thanks / Like

reel would be a Pfluger President 6530 or one close to it in that line I have several of them and love'em. Run about $60
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the presidents!
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimPierce View Post
    Ditto on the presidents!
    Thanks for the replies.

What size line should I be considering? I always thought 4# was the standard but I've heard of line beings used on both sides of that. Like I mentioned, I've been away from this game for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

4 or 6 lb is the norm for casting. 10 is the norm for pulling cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Spirex are my favorite reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boa3 View Post
    4 or 6 lb is the norm for casting. 10 is the norm for pulling cranks.
    Oh, wow. I didn't realize anyone used that heavy line for slabs. I better get to readin' here!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That Triax can be bought at Wally World for $20 all day long ... so it's not a "high end" reel to any degree (even with the 8 bearings). But, if it balances well with the 7.5' rod you intend to use, I'd give it a outing or two to see how well it performs. Put some 6# Vicious Panfish line on it and go to it. Hi-vis or clear/blu is your choice.

At 8.6oz the reel does seem to be a little on the heavy side, but maybe not for a 7.5' rod .... I use the (old grey) Shimano Spirex 2000 on my 7' Bionic Blade and it balances fine. (new "blue" Spirex 2000's weighs 8.8oz ... but is a 6.2:1 retrieve ratio ... and also has the quick-fire trigger, so it's not instant anti-reverse)

And trust me, if the rod/reel don't balance well, you won't have any fun using it for any length of time (esp. casting with it).

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good info so far. My two cents is to try and take the rod with you into the store that has the reels on display and put it on the rod and check it for balance. The composition of the reel will make a big difference as to where it will balance. Metal frame VS graphite frame is a few ounces and makes all the difference. Balance point should be very close to where your index finger that is holding the reel lands. My go to is a 6'6"with a 2000 series reel with 4lb line. Casts a 1/32 like nothing. With a 1/16 I have to be careful or I'll be in the trees. Smaller spool reels create a tight memory coil and cut down on casting distance and sensitivity. I guess the best I can tell you is to not be in a hurry and try several before you pull the trigger. Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes squirrel dog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can't loose with the Pflueger President but it depends on what your budget is and what type of fishing you plan on dong. I spider rig troll so multiple rod setups are needed. I had to back off from he $50-60 reels. I have settled on a good $30 reel out right or on sale. You want instant anti reverse, light weight, 10 lb drag (the small pflueger has 6 lb so make sure to get the 6900 series). Your timing is good so make sure you troll online of all the major retailers now and compare prices when the spring sales start. Mr. Crappie/Lew's has a new crappie reel I use mainly for trolling. If you are casting (which I don't do a lot of), give Pflueger and Shimano a good look. Grizzly Jig Co. would be a great place to start looking! I hope this helps ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast