Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair weather fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fair weather fishermen

I am , but to be sure I don't let that dictate if I am going or not as you might have noticed . Yesterday was simply beautiful weather wise and it was really pretty nice at 3 am when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep . A bit windy ,but not terribly cool and so it began .
    I double layered top and bottom to be safe from the lite chill still lingering from the recent arctic blast , as I knew I was going to be out in the elements a few hours . I poured some coffee in a carry along and went to put on my boots . the coffee was behind me in the chair and some how turned over at 1 boot thirty ...
    I jumped up when it fired up on my behind and managed to set off my truck alarm somehow in the fiasco
    nice start for sure .....
    Well I got to lake about 3:45 ish and went out on a dark dock ramp and pitched my jig . I know the patterns fairly well of these particular crappie and know they feed up in this creek at night in the winter on the shad that come to the rip rap to stay warm in the cold . As I have found in the past there they were thumping hard and getting frisky with my jig.
    So there I stood for most of the dark time and whacked em right well , I also managed 2 small large mouths along in the mess of white crappie that hang around in there in the dark . Nothing really large and not to many keepers I don't think ,but I think I had maybe around 10 keepers out of 35 or so fish .
    Same thing as the norm right now in that they were still about 10 to 12 deep in about 14 foot or slightly less water depth . I will be float ketchn these fish soon and probably could have found some in shorter water if I wanted to float fish them that visit .
    Same bait color I have been using and same jighead and YES I was saucing up the jig a bit as well . Let them all swim on to go about what they were doing before I got there and left at the beginning of first light as that's when they leave as well .
    Hope you enjoy the photos and read
    p.s. deer were out feeding hard on the drive out there and I typically find that when they are feeding along the roadside in numbers I am ketchn fish in the same fashion
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure beats watching infomercials or B movies when you cant sleep. Good story. I would have gone back home for sausage, eggs, gravy and then a nap after all that hard work.
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman
    Likes ad1974, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go,nice catch.

Post Thanks / Like

That sure beats insomnia!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Been known to do things like that myself. Local restaurants knew me when it was coffee time after chasing fish. Good post, thanks for taking us along.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report.....thanks for sharing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You are one fishing person ain't no way I am getting up at 1am to go fishing. Thanks for sharing posts and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Those crappie looked like they still had sleep in their eyes.Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast