Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do It Yourself Salmon Fishing In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do It Yourself Salmon Fishing In Alaska

Alaska was one of those fishing destinations I always put off because I thought it was too costly and complicated to go up there and catch salmon. When my son moved up there and built his "off-grid" house with his wife I had a reason to visit. In between building projects we got time to fish and from doing a little research I found out catching salmon, trout and grayling was very doable on your own. This video took place from late July to early August in 2017 and covers how you can set up your Alaska fishing road trip on a budget. The video covers fishing from Anchorage south to Seward, Alaska. This next summer we are cooking up plans to catch halibut from shore.

This is an older video from 2015 (does not have narration) that features a trip I did to visit him when he was a guide in the Arctic Circle, 240 miles north of Fairbanks. The fishing for grayling starts at the 4 and a half minute mark.

If you have an interest in what it is like to build your own "off-grid" home here is a link to my son's blog that goes over everything from planning to the finished project. They have issues up there that we don't have to deal with in the lower 48 like marauding moose and grizzly bears that drink your chain saw oil: https://alaskabode.wordpress.com/
    Likes "D", Skippa Chippa, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

WOW very cool!!!!! Im going to look into this! Thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    WOW very cool!!!!! Im going to look into this! Thankyou!
    If you have any questions that come up later that I can help with let me know. Hope you get to go to Alaska.

Post Thanks / Like

we used to do it yourself up there years ago , it is a bit complicated but worth EVERY minute times a million .
    if you book all your stuff a year in advance , like rental vehicles and places to stay and boats and planes and etc it can be done pretty reasonably for the amount of time you get when you are there at 20 hours of daylight a day .
    man is it a place for person who likes fish , we used to say there is a fish in every drop of water in that state .
    and they gots LOTS a water up there
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do It Yourself Salmon Fishing In Alaska

Neat post!
    Bears Drinking my chainsaw oil, that’s a tough customer.
    We have black bears here, and they can tear up anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!