Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: xi5 Motor Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Default xi5 Motor Guide

Has anyone got the Xi5 Motor Guide wireless trolling motor. From the videos I have watched they seam quiet and more user friendly with a pedal that goes back and forward like a cable steer. Not to mention are several bucks less than the other brand. I am in the market for a wireless tm and if as good as they appear to be just might go with that brand.

Thanks
    t.slab
    Cabelas, Crappie Magnet, Jenko Fishing, Cumberland Crappie , Slabanator Jigs, and Pure Crappie Tackle.
    Timscatchingcrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are pros and cons with them against MK. I have 2 friends who use them, of course they like them because they own them, but they say they are fine! I really think they are. I am going to buy one this year.
    Likes t.slabseeker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had the xi5 on my last 2 boats and loved it. Never had a problem. I prefer the keychain remote though. I bought both mine from BOE Marine. Factory reconditioned with 1 year warranty for $650ish. Can’t beat it with a stick...

Post Thanks / Like

I upgraded my trolling motor on my pt175 a couple years ago to a 24v 80# mg xi5 and love it, it's worth every penny. I did a lot of research like you are doing before I bought it too, main selling point was that the anchor lock function kept me in a tighter circle then the others mg claims 5ft. I will say i don't care much for the wireless foot control, the springs feel to tight, so I use the key fob. I troll a lot and it works well for this. As far as sound my buddy has a terrova and both seem quite to me. Let me say I have had the circuit board go out under warranty but other than that all is good.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the xi5 and it is good so far. The spot lock is nice when you have to retie a hook when the wind is blowing or in moving water. I don't care much for the foot control as already been stated the spring tension is too tight for me. Would I buy it again ? YES..

Post Thanks / Like

I have one
    Never sounded exactly right so I wisely bought the 3 yr extended warranty
    Grinding sound got bad so I finally had to take it in.
    No charge, finally a great machine, I recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

Got one on my 18 ft glass Ranger. I like it. I never was good with the foot pedal when trying to sit in one spot. The wireless remote works great for me. I've never even used the foot pedal so I don't really know how smooth the operation is with it. I think it's quieter than MK's. Only complaint is that the spot lock will fight itself if you are not in current or wind. It's like the reaction tuning is off. With no wind it will run every direction andkeep correcting itself. I have read that others are experiencing the same thing. Eventually, you have to put it in manual to stop it. If you have a transducer wire running down the side of the shaft, it could possibly damage it. That being said, I really only use the spot lock if I'm tying one on or going #1. Also, if you run Lowrance units (elite 9 and HDS's) you can run a gateway and control the TM from your unit. But, the gateway kit is $250 which seems ridiculous to me. For what I use it for, it works great for me. Remote goes around my neck as soon as I get in the boat. Trolling speeds from almost stopped to about 2 MPH (24v 80#). Just wish Motorguide made one auto stow and deploy! If the dead nuts spot lock is what you're after, I hear that the newer MK's are a lot more accurate and steady than the older ones. Check videos on YouTube for comparison. Just remember, your boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money in. Enjoy it!
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX
    Likes t.slabseeker, Hat55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to "Ready2fish".

In my opinion he is the best guy to talk to. The reason being is that he has had both the Terrova 24v and the XI5. I believe he is getting ready to switch back to the Minnkota on his new boat. You might want to ask him why?

Another person to talk to is "Skillet007". He too has had the Terrova and the XI5 (on the same boat). Both these guys have had extensive experience with trolling and using both motors and can, in my opinion, give the best answer you are looking for.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I GOT A XI5 12 VOLTS ,IT IS A GOOD UNIT HOWEVER AS SAID IN ALMOST CALM WIND I TURN IT OFF AND ADJUST AS NEEDED WITH HANDHELD UNIT,COULD NEVER GET USE TO THAT FOOT PEDAL,A FRIEND GAVE ME A NEW MK WITH SPOTLOCK AND HAVE THE FOOT PEDAL WITH CABLE AND THAT IS THE WAY TO GO IF ONE CAN AFFORD IT,I ALWAYS HAVE BEEN A CABLE MAN ANYWAY,BY THE WAY I PUT A MOTOR ON MINE THAT RAISE IT UP AND DOWN WHILE RUNNING THE WATERS,ALSO MADE IT EASY TO STORE AND LET IN WATER,
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Hat55 LIKED above post