Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does anybody ---

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anybody ---

Troll with the big motor (gas) for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to, so I can save my battery. I'm going to have to get a drift sock or trolling plate first, because mine idles too fast for trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it all the time. If you can try back trolling it will slow down the boat and actually gives you better boat control when fishing ledges.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I troll with my 'big' motor more than I do with my electric motor. My boat has a 50 HP 4stroke, so it is really quiet and does not carbon up. Spend a lot of time trolling crankbaits, catch a lot of catfish this way, too. Most of my crappie fishing is either off the dock or over brush, so more of a finesse type fishing. What I have always liked about motor trolling is that you are covering a lot more water...downside is that the water has to be a lot warmer than it is now!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys.
    I'm using a 17' tin rig (jon) with a 30hp Merc tiller 4 stroker and can get it down to 1.8--2.0 mph and i'm trying to get it down somemore.

I know about the heat and warmer water-haha i've got umbrellas that help:D

MT

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to spend money for one of those drift socks that slows you down the poor mans way is to get 2 5 gallon buckets and drill holes in the top sides and run a peice of rope through and tie knots at the end of the rope to replace the handles that come on the buck. If you use the handles that's on the bucket they will pull out. Now drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket so water will move through the buckets. Tie a 3 or 4 foot peice of line to the line that replaced the handle that came with the bucket and throw them off the stern of the boat and tie them off. This will slow your boat way down. I use them all the time when I'm drifting in my larger boat or when I want to slow down the trolling speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, sparkie 51

I've thought about things close to what you do. Now i know something that will work and i can do and not be wasting my time.

Do you put any weight on one side to keep them from spinning??

MT