PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for this first timer

Jiggah
01-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Ok guys, tax time is coming up and I plan on getting my first boat ever! It will be a small aluminum boat. I know I am going to need a battery, battery charger and some other things.

As for the battery, which battery/batteries do you guys use? I want one for the Trolling Motor and one for the Outboard Motor.
- I heard interstate marine 27 Deep Cycle batteries are great?

As for the battery charger, what do you guys use?

Thanks!

skeetbum
01-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Many choices for all of the above. For the TM, try to get the most thrust you can afford. 12 volts go up to 55 lbs thrust. Battery series go from 24, 27, 29, and 31. Keep in mind they get heavier as they go. Chargers need to be automatic, meaning that they quit charging when the charge is complete and go into maintenance mode where they just trickle charge as needed. On board chargers are nice and take care of all batteries at the same time by simply plugging them in. 2 batteries gets a 2 bank charger. Makes life simple. The car chargers only do one at a time and don't like wet conditions.

Jiggah
01-10-2018, 02:05 PM
The TM is a 55 trust, so I'm guessing just a regular car battery?

I was going to use one for TM and one for fish finder. Sorry not outboard as it will be gas :dono

CrappiePappy
01-10-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm using Everstart batteries, and pretty much always have. I think I had one Interstate, a long time ago, and it didn't last but a year or so, while my Everstart's have always lasted well past their warranty period. And that was back when I only had one battery to run everything in the boat, including starting the big motor (which was a 70hp Yammy).

I'm currently using a Group 24 for the big motor and console switches (including a small HB 2d depthfinder) ... and a Group 29 for the trolling motor and bow mounted Lowrance DI depthfinder. The batteries are kept charged by a Minn-Kota MK220 onboard charger. It's a 2 bank charger @ 10a per bank. The Group 24 will be 6yrs old next month, and my Group 29 is just a little over a year old. The Group 29 replaced a Group 27 that came with the boat (and lasted nearly 5yrs).

One thing I would advise to do ... is look for the mfg date sticker and get the one with the latest date. Pick them out, yourself ... don't let the floor staff do it for you (they'll grab the first one they see, or is the easiest to get to). IF the store doesn't have any less than 6mo old (on the shelf), ask if they have any newer ones in their storage room. I also check the label to make sure the battery was made by Johnson Controls.

Jiggah
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Awesome thanks!

Jiggah
01-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Minn-Kota MK220 onboard charger $349?! Wow.

Jiggah
01-10-2018, 02:29 PM
What about this one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-24MS-Marine-Starting-Battery/105864134

DRFISHDUCK
01-10-2018, 02:49 PM
I been using the Walmart 24 since spring of 2015, it runs trolling motor, Garmin, lights, 12 volt filet knife. 9.9 Evinrude is pull start. Excellent battery and I have never ran it down. I charge it with a low amp automatic trickle charger I purchased at Walmart for around $30.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

scrat
01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
How big of a boat(length width and side depth) and motor(HP) are you talking about? It would be a lots of help as for the people that have already had one(been there and done that) to let you know what they have used in the past. By know that you could be saved from a lot of there mistakes and possibly save money also.:twocents

CrappiePappy
01-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Minn-Kota MK220 onboard charger $349?! Wow.

Don't know where you found that price .... but this is more reasonable : https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Board-Battery-Charger-Banks/dp/B0042TAO10 (and it's "digital" ... mine is not).

CrappiePappy
01-10-2018, 03:55 PM
What about this one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-24MS-Marine-Starting-Battery/105864134

That's what I use for a starting battery. And even though I don't usually run the big motor all that much, my 90Merc 2strk will usually keep it almost fully charged, so that when I do put the battery back on the charger, it only takes a few minutes before the "full charge" green light comes on.

Erin Brewer
01-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Depends on what size boat you looking to get! I have a 1436 with at 25 hp on it. Fished out of this boat for years and love the little boat. I have minn kota 40lb thrust and it has all the power you need. Now as for the battery dont over think it but dont get a car battery either it will not hold up the the charging and discharging. Best bet is to go to walmart and get the biggest deep cycle marine battery they have. usually a group 27 or so! Being a small boat I dont see you having the need to have a on board charger so any multi setting charger will work just fine can probly find it at wally world to! With my boat I can go 6 or so hours pulling cranks and thats a constant on the battery!

flintcreek
01-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Agree your battery needs will depend on the boat. I ran a 16' with a 35 hp electric start and 36 lb trolling motor on one battery for years with no problem. I had a 27 series Everstart and it lasted almost 7 years...just replaced it and also sold the boat. The 35 was electric or pull start and I usually started it the first time of the day with the starter and after that I used the pull start and it was usually just 1 pull. I managed it with a old Craftsman charger. Now with my new bigger boat I run 3 batteries and a onboard charger.

"G"
01-12-2018, 07:18 PM
The TM is a 55 trust, so I'm guessing just a regular car battery?

I was going to use one for TM and one for fish finder. Sorry not outboard as it will be gas :dono
No No...Must be a Deep Cycle battery or it will not last very long...The larger the group size the more run time you will have at the lake.

PawPaw "gene"
01-12-2018, 08:46 PM
What "G" said, it need to be a deep cycle battery for the troll motor.
"gene"

Mosquitopat
01-13-2018, 03:30 AM
the ​INTERSTATE SRM 27 (marine) is the best battery I've ever used. It's great for trolling motors. :popcorn

CrappieHuntMike
01-13-2018, 03:43 AM
I use the Everstart group 29 on my 1548 duracraft aluminum allwelded boat. 2 for my 24 v 50fpt motoglide tm(only). Then 1 for big motor and electronics and lights. $340 for 3 brand new with 2 yr warranty from walmart. As far as how long they last on my tm is days. Ill go out 3-4 trips before i charge up. I use diehard battery charger on maint free deep cycle for about 6-8hrs on all batterys and good fo another 4 trips or so.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

wannabe fisherman
01-13-2018, 05:36 AM
theysaid definitely a marine battery. They have thicker walls to withstand the beating they get in a boat.

Pat O'Reilly
01-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Definitely need the marine battery largest group you can afford I have had decent luck with optima. On board charger will be worth the investment in my opinion.

chaunc
01-13-2018, 10:27 AM
the ​INTERSTATE SRM 27 (marine) is the best battery I've ever used. It's great for trolling motors. :popcorn

What other batteries have you tried over the years?

Yonder
01-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Noco gen charger, Full River DC115-12 Volt AGM for the trolling motor. It's a lot of battery, 72 lb, Group 31, that's for a 55 lb thrust. You may be able to get a smaller battery, but for me, the trolling motor, is my primary motor, on the little Jon Boat. Full River has taken the place of Trojan, in this area (Royal Battery).
No complaints. Used Optima for years, but had some fail lately. Their warranty has also deminished, now that the plant moved down south. My :twocents
:fish

Yonder
01-13-2018, 11:25 AM
And check the manufacturer specs for what "type" charger. They work differently, and some will void warranty's.
With charging, typically, lower / longer charge times, will make your battery last longer. And recharge soon as you get back. Store fully charged.
:fish

Fish on Line
01-13-2018, 12:18 PM
I do not have the Usual Charger. Mine is 2'x4' solar collector. Mounted on the inside side of boat , hinged to get full solar rays. works in overcast or full sun and is always on the job never overcharging --- and charging while using the TM

Mosquitopat
01-13-2018, 02:15 PM
What other batteries have you tried over the years?
Sears Die Hard and some Kmart brand...neither one held up as long as the Interstate

John Doe
02-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Let me throw in some kudos for Interstate marine batteries. I bought a new boat from the stealer with a 24 volt TM. I invested in a 3 bank charger as well. They rigged everything, or so I thought.. dumb for not checking myself. I fished this boat at least twice per month (more often 4 times a month) since last August and my TM batteries finally died on Lake Talquin last week. They lasted that long without a charge (the stealer forgot to connect the charger).. and they took a charge from less than 2% and are performing wonderfully.

On top of that, Interstate has an excellent commercial out..

Jiggah
02-06-2018, 12:40 PM
I am so sorry I have not been on here in a second. Been so busy chasing Crappie and working haha. I will be getting some type of aluminum boat. Not sure yet on which one. But I was just wondering what all I needed to do before getting it. Thank you ALL for your input. I really appreciate it and I will revisit this when the time comes to look at all the links and such. Have a blessed day.