PDA

View Full Version : Best casting reel under 100 bucks

jnalley
01-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Looking for a spinning reel for casting 1/16oz 3/32 oz jigs somthing that you could cast all day light weight and smooth is there such a thing out there under 100 bucks? And what line would you pair it with to get maximum distance? Thanks in advance and reel will be going on a Denali 7.6 rod

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

deathb4disco
01-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Why not use a spinning reel? It will handle light baits much better than any baitcaster.

jnalley
01-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Why not use a spinning reel? It will handle light baits much better than any baitcaster.Thats what i want is a spinning reel for casting not rigging or dipping

deathb4disco
01-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Thats what i want is a spinning reel for casting not rigging or dipping

In that case, there are loads of reels that will work. Many on the board like the Pflueger President. I remain a fan of Daiwa and Shimano.

Whatever you get, don't go too small on the spool size, or your casting distance will suffer.

"G"
01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Dont rule out the BnM Pro spinning reels.....i really like mine....i have mine on a BnM 7 ft.Sam Heaton spinning rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

jnalley
01-09-2018, 10:44 AM
In that case, there are loads of reels that will work. Many on the board like the Pflueger President. I remain a fan of Daiwa and Shimano.

Whatever you get, don't go too small on the spool size, or your casting distance will suffer.What size reel like a 20 25 30? What line?

deathb4disco
01-09-2018, 10:49 AM
What size reel like a 20 25 30? What line?

I like a 2000 or 2500 size reel. I've even seen some 3000's that were not too big.

Everybody likes different lines, but here are four good ones:

Trilene XL
Stren Crappie Line
Trout Magnet's SOS
Spiderwire (the mono, not the braid)

I never go heavier than 4# line.

need2befishin
01-09-2018, 10:53 AM
I use a 25 or 30 in a Pflueger president and with 4lb line will cast a mile. Use 6lb at times and it cast plenty far enough also. I didn't like the size 20 for reason stated above. Kept line too tightly twisted on the smaller spool. IMO of course...We are all different and what works for some may not for others.

FurFlyin
01-09-2018, 11:12 AM
I've got Pfleuger Presidents. My main casting combo is a 25 series president on a 7' Lews rod. I very rarely, if ever cast anything heavier than a 1/32 ounce jig. I use those most of the time. I also cast 1/64 and have used 1/80th on this combo. With a Bobby Garland Baby Shad on the 32nd oz I can cast them as far as I want to. I rarely cast them as far as they can be cast, if that makes sense. The 1/80th's obviously don't cast nearly as far as the others but they'll cast further than they will on some micro lite rod combos that I've used.

I just don't see there being a reel that's that much better than the President. I have owned reels that cost a lot more, but don't know that I've ever owned any that fish better.

Locator79
01-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Another fan of Daiwa, won't buy anything else. And I've had them all.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

skeetbum
01-09-2018, 03:16 PM
I've got Pfleuger Presidents. My main casting combo is a 25 series president on a 7' Lews rod. I very rarely, if ever cast anything heavier than a 1/32 ounce jig. I use those most of the time. I also cast 1/64 and have used 1/80th on this combo. With a Bobby Garland Baby Shad on the 32nd oz I can cast them as far as I want to. I rarely cast them as far as they can be cast, if that makes sense. The 1/80th's obviously don't cast nearly as far as the others but they'll cast further than they will on some micro lite rod combos that I've used.

I just don't see there being a reel that's that much better than the President. I have owned reels that cost a lot more, but don't know that I've ever owned any that fish better.

What he said rings true for me also. I have some Shimano's and Diawa's and they are also good reels. On the rod you stated I would like to see a 6925 on it and feel how the weight works compared to other reels of like size and price. That is about a 2000 series reel by most other mfg's. I have 6 Presidents and have no complaints so far. With 4lb line it is my go to rod, unless I go UL and use the 6920 and 2lb Nanofil. That casts a country mile with a 1/32.

Nutbush
01-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Looking for a spinning reel for casting 1/16oz 3/32 oz jigs somthing that you could cast all day light weight and smooth is there such a thing out there under 100 bucks? And what line would you pair it with to get maximum distance? Thanks in advance and reel will be going on a Denali 7.6 rod

Zebco 33

sinkermaker
01-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Pfluger president in the 25 size with 4 lb test line and you can get 2 for around a hundred dollars

jnalley
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Just ordered a president XT in a 25 series will see how it turns out for casting small jigs a country mile lol suposed to be a light weight reel from what i read thanksfor all the help now just to figure out line i fish lakes that have plenty of 2lb fish so i gotta keep that in mined i dont want to be breaking line swinging them in the boat kevin rodgers style lol