Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods

Whats best rods for pulling jigs and also use to pull cranks?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of options and personal preference is king. I will say that I troll jigs and cranks with my BnM BGJP's and just bought a couple of southern crappie rods that I'm real happy with, and so are many others. I will say that after handling hundreds of rods in the last ten years that I wouldn't buy anything that I didn't put my hands on. Ratings for actions vary greatly. Good luck with your search
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sc02er View Post
    Whats best rods for pulling jigs and also use to pull cranks?
    Depends on who you ask ... and also depends on if you "push" cranks/jigs with weights on the line (& how much weight is used). Most all the major brands that have rods of this type will have its followers & advocates.

Personally, I don't "pull" jigs/cranks .... I "push" them. I use my three 14' rods and a couple of shorter 10' rods ... usually no more than 4 rods at a time, out the front of my boat. I may use 1/2oz - 1.5oz of weight & run at 0.6 - 1.2mph ... whatever it takes to get the baits down to the level of the fish. I'm using 1 BnM PST - 2 BnM Capps/Coleman 14' rods, and 1 Huckabee Dippin and 1 Sam Heaton 10' rods ... with several other lengths and brands that can be added to the spread. That spread usually looks something like this :

Name:  20170801_131357.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  107.5 KB
    Likes squirrel dog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like Southern Crappie myself. Have the 16's 14's and 12's. Used these for Long lining,spider Ridding and pulling cranks.
    LittleJohn

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The standard Southern Crappie Rods SCR143 are great for pulling or pushing cranks or jigs. They perform well with up to 2 oz weights. If you need heavier weight the SCR143T Rods will handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Like said above personal preference I like b n m pro trollers for pulling jigs and crankbaits I like the extra back bone and you don’t need a reel sensitive tip when pulling. My buddy uses southern crappie and there nice rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Crappie
    Set da hook

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Southern crappie in the heavy model will do the trick

Post Thanks / Like

For long lining, rods don't really matter. Cheap rods work just as well as expensive ones. Rod action or sensitivity don't really matter. Of course you don't want a surf rod but any will due. Length is more important. I fish with 16 poles from 10' to 20'. I can cover a lot of water that way.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net