HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Fishing

We made a trip to one of my favorite trout streams in the Great Smoky Mountains this afternoon. We finally got above freezing a few hours, and we had to take something for this cabin fever! It was a nice drive, followed by a nice fairly short hike. I didn’t take my fly rod along, but I should have! My guess is that I would have had fewer hung flys than normal!Name:  IMG_1515373570.510376.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  131.8 KBName:  IMG_1515373593.801036.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  199.8 KBName:  IMG_1515373617.376418.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_1515373639.844052.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  69.6 KBName:  IMG_1515373665.460938.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  115.1 KBName:  IMG_1515373682.016430.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  95.1 KBName:  IMG_1515373700.681716.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  100.2 KB

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes S10CHEVY, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Envious.. the last couple winters if been fishing streams in Ky. , last Feb I fished hatchery creek below Cumberland. I am much better with stockers

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    Envious.. the last couple winters if been fishing streams in Ky. , last Feb I fished hatchery creek below Cumberland. I am much better with stockers

I’ve read some great reports from Hatchery Creek.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I’ve read some great reports from Hatchery Creek.
    How it started : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7sYx8hYXI

Ky Afield video fishing the creek : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA2N_C2Ryec
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Thanks for sharing this! Quite interesting!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've fished below the Wolf Creek Dam for Rainbow Trout, back in my earlier years, probably around 1976 ... but, did it from a boat and used Kastmaster spoons bounced along the bottom. Kind of a tricky deal, really, since you had to be there when several sluice gates are open. Then you run the boat up to the face of the dam & then put the big motor into neutral and let the water push you downstream, all the while bouncing the Kastmaster on the bottom. If you hang it up, you motor back past it and yank it free (or lose it) and then continue on. If you catch a Trout, you get it in the boat as fast as possible, then continue on until you reach a certain distance from the dam .... then motor back to the dam & start over. Nowadays I'm not even sure if that's possible to do, since you're restricted to no closer than 500ft from the dam if water is being let out thru the gates.
    Likes ET Fish, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's much easier to fish hatchery creek, plus you don't even need waders, I had a fight with a 20" rainbow there last year, but he won. #20 zebra midge was the ticket

Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    It's much easier to fish hatchery creek, plus you don't even need waders, I had a fight with a 20" rainbow there last year, but he won. #20 zebra midge was the ticket

Truthfully, I am not very good with a fly rod. It’s a challenge for me, but I love a challenge! My fishing is more like 95% Crappie and 5% trout. That being said, we made a trip to Wyoming in early fall of 2016. It wasn’t a fishing trip, but a buddy and I did pack a fly rod. There was a stream near our cabin, so after all the hiking and sightseeing, we decided to wet a line. I caught a decent “Brown”, and noticed that he appeared to be bleeding, so to keep from wasting him, I gutted him and put him on ice. This actually happened four more times! As it turned out, I was catching Cutthroats! I had no idea what they looked like, as I thought they were Browns! They fried up nicely, though!

Post Thanks / Like

While I am a member of crappie.com I am not a crappie fisherman as most are on here....I do catch a lot of crappie but I am an avid UL angler and trout are right down my alley using UL rods and 2# test line...and sometimes 1.4# test line. I am fortunate to be very close to the Caney Fork River.......probably one of the best trout streams east of the Mississippi that is not that well known by folks outside the area. I have fished the Cumberland below Wolf Creek for trout and it is a great fishery.......have yet to get onto those triploids they stocked there but will sooner or later. ET when I first ate trout I did so without removing the skin.....a big mistake. About 11:00 .p.m. I started tasting that oil from the skin and I burped that all night long. Since then I eat all my trout filleted with the skin off....LOL. A week ago I took a young college student out on the river for some fishing. He is a freshman at UT and is on their bass fishing team....he is quite an accomplished fisherman. He of course wanted the big fish...so I put him in the heavy current and after he caught 3 good ones back to back I went back to catching 11-12 inch brook trout.....caught around 60 in 4 hours...with a few rainbow mixed in. Got to love the flight of trout. Love those streams in the Smokies but I am not that mobile anymore to hike and crawl around on those boulders....LOL.

Regards

Name:  IMG_2413.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  173.5 KBName:  IMG_2412.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  219.4 KBName:  IMG_0820.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  161.4 KBName:  IMG_0817.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  137.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Tom 513, ET Fish, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The challenge is what I like about it too, plus I am off work in the winter so trout fishing fits my schedule. I've been playing around with fly fishing the past few years, I tell people usually fish alone so people don't point and laugh at me, lol. I figure as long as I am having a good time that's all that matters. One thing you should try is throwing wooleybuggers for river smallmouth in September, there is no better fishing in my opinion.

Likes IkenI, ET Fish LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast