Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnson Controls buys Humminbird and own's Min-Kota

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnson Controls buys Humminbird and own's Min-Kota

Not sure if you all are aware of this but Humminbird was purchased by Johonson Controls. Johnson also owns the Min-kota trolling motor company as well as Scuba Pro scuba diving gear.

I found this information on the www.humminbird.com web site and was going to post it last week but forgot.

So if you own a Min-Kota Trolling motor or are thinking about getting a new Min-kota you might also check out the Humminbird depth sounders later this year or next. The autopilot on the Min-Kotas may be designed in the future to work best with the humminbird Matrix 47 that can see things in three dimentions on the bottom by using multiple focued sonar beams. They use an array of beams going in different directions. Each beam is 17 deg or so and the focus of each beam is moved 40 times per second which gives a very short Pulse lenght 1/40= 25 one thousands of a second pulse lenght at maximum.

I hope that they can combine the three D information from the depth sounders into the Auto Pilot to make it track a depth contour better in the future. Look Maw NO Hands!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent Min-Kota an E-mail a couple of weeks ago and asked them if they were planning on coming out with a trolling motor like the old Pinpoints or new Motorguides that will keep you in a certain depth, channel or so far from a shore. They said no, but anything is possible in the future.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

i would love to have a motor that keeps me at a certain depth and speed. That would make trolling more precise. Even I could stay at the right depth. I have a very hard time following the breakline.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Moose,
    I live right up the road from where Tom Mann put together the Humminbird company. He is a local legend. I have met and spoke with him at the Tom Mann Museum of Bass Fishing in Eufaula Alabama. His first compant Mann's jellyworms made a 12 and 14 inch classic plastic worm. Folks laughed at it but I always caught the bigger bass. Not as many, but bigger.

Mann is a good man.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

you might like this.
    mann's fishworld

Post Thanks / Like

I look for them to hook the GPS, fishfinder, and trolling motor all into 1 unit. You just motor in close to the area then let the unit find the area you want to fish. It may be a year or 2 but I will bet someone puts it all together.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    i would love to have a motor that keeps me at a certain depth and speed. That would make trolling more precise. Even I could stay at the right depth. I have a very hard time following the breakline.
    I have been trying to find out if these are repackaged Pinpoints or new technology.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

That was a good article. Thanks for sharing the link and a good story.

I have a lot of respect for Tom Mann.

I chased the Largemouth bass all my life and still enjoy catching them.

8 years is a long time. He must have taken great care with him over those years.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    you might like this.
    mann's fishworld
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The key is the new digital electronic circuit board inside the epoxy and also the FIVE transducers built INSIDE the trolling motor housing. Never heard of the old unit's have five transducers before but then again I didn't really read up on them so they could have been there and I just was not aware of it. That is very possible.

How long have the digital circuits been used in the trolling motors? That may be the key to whether it's a rebuilt unit or a new unit of some kind. I think the digital circuity is fairly new to the market but how new I don't really remember

Might visit the Motorguide web site and check that out. Didn't MotorGuide get bought out by Mercury? I have a motor guide trolling motor that lasted me 25 years and now have gone ot the Min-Kota and hope I made the right choice. I like the new powerful unit but it's got some things that I don't really like and would change if I could. But that is due to my boat and the way my boat is designed. My boat trolling motor mounting area was made for the older smaller motors and props and this new motor is just a bit big for my smaller boat. I got it locally and could not find the motorguide model that I wanted here on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I have been trying to find out if these are repackaged Pinpoints or new technology.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Mercury owns Motor Guide which owns Pinpoint. That is why I was wondering about the repackaging deal. I use to have one of the cheaper Pinpoints. I loved the features, but not the problems. You might have something there about it being all digital and all.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast