Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding Crappie after the cold spell breaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Crappie after the cold spell breaks

The weather forecast is for a few days this coming week in the upper 50s. I want to try for crappie if the white perch don't cooperate. I fish a large reservoir in NC and was wondering where crappie head to under the cold we've had. The water was 49 degrees before the subfreezing temps. I guess now lower 40s. We have a very long bridge with several pilings that cross the main river channel that sit in about 40 feet of water. I have wanted to check that out since I installed my Helix 10 but have not had the time yet. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

The bridge sounds good is there a pier near the drop off fish it first then any pier with brush around them. If any current fish side of them in the slack or least current. Fish channel bends with different depths of ledges lay down trees along steeper banks where the ends are in water deeper than 10-15 ft deep look in mouths of coves and creeks they hang out. There pre spawn after a week of cold they may be clothed mouth have to run and gun to locate the bait fish 2cents worth good lock

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

THE TWO PILINGS ON LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE ARE GOOD IN SPRING SUMMER AND FALL BUT CAN"T REMEMBER AT THIS TIME OF YEAR BUT WITH YOUR HELIX ONE PASS AND YOU SHOULD KNOW,VERY LITTHE BRUSH IN LAKE SO LOOK AT THE DROPOFF AND CREEK BENDS ALSO WHERE CREEKS MEET RIVER CHANNEL ABOVE THE BRIDGE.THE WP SHOULD BE HITTING FAIRLY GOOD FROM BRIDGE TO DAM AND NEAR MOUTH OF PEA HILL TO FIRST BIG ISLAND,HOPE IT GETS WARM ENOUGH FOR ME TO GO AND CHECK OUT MY NEW HELIX,MAY FISH SOME IF ICE ON LAKE MELTS AND SNOW AT RAMPS IS GONE,GOT TO GO TO DR ONE DAY NEXT WEEK ,PROBABLY THE BEST DAY OF WEEK,LOL.GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Judgetodd LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd look around the piling before I even put out a rod and see what the Helix says. Look for deep water with any timber if there is any, and deep brush over 20' if you can find it. I like a 1/8 head and braid for this as the take is super light sometimes.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Genec before cold spell hit I was catching perch in peahill near the island across from Washburn's. Bait and fish all seemed around that 38 to 43 foot depth range. Last time I fished it seemed like the bait moved and I think went to the main lake but I didn't catch fish off them. I'd really like to get into some crappie but I just don't know enough about catching them. I do a lot of fishing and not much catching. I tell my wife I'm going crappie fishing and she rolls her eyes. I tell her I'm going bass fishing and she asked if we're having them for dinner. I hear you about the Dr. I'm getting a new knee January 22 so that will shut me down awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Genec hard to predict fish 3-4 hundred miles away I’ll shut up

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

MUSTFISH,WHEN YOU ARE IN PEAHILL LOOK AT THE WATER INTAKE JUST INSIDE THE VA LINE ,I USE TO FISH IT AND CATCH CRAPPIES,LOTS OF PIPES THEIR AND THEY GET AROUND THEM,YOU CAN SEE THEM ON YOUR HELIX,THERE IS ALSO A SHARP BEND ON THE OTHER SIDE THAT USE TO HOLD CRAPPIES IN WINTER AND ONE MORE SHARP BEND IN THE NC SIDE BEFORE YOU GET THERE THAT HOLDS FISH AROUND THOSE 3 DOCKS,I HAVE NOT BEEN IN PEAHILL IN A FEW YEARS,SPEND MOST OF MY FISHING AT KERR LAKE CALL BUGGS ISLAND ALSO,BUT I LIVE 12 MILES FROM GASTON.I TOURNAMENT FISH FOR CRAPPIES AT BUGGS,GOT ONE FEB 10 SURE HOPE IT IS A LOTS WARMER THEN
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Judgetodd LIKED above post

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aight...... What we found yesterday. The water temp was 48ish. There was no fish on brush piles or pier pilings. We checked bridge pilings also not the first fish. All fish were in creek channels chasing shad.