Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Baiting Crappie Holes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baiting Crappie Holes

When is the best time to start baiting your crappie hole to attract minnows? And what do some of ya'll suggest? I've read everything from pallets with the alfala bales, to range cubes, to dog food, etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested to know the answer to this as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

wonder if dropping one of them green lights down the hole would work???
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman

Post Thanks / Like

If any of your piles are at the thermocline bait them first I also heard of all the things you mentioned and all work dog food in an orange sack works for me and I like oranges ( the ones with 1/4 inch holes) your mileage may vary

Post Thanks / Like

Stick of TNT work great. Not that I know anything about it

All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is to just place more crappie habitat. The more the better as micro organisms and algae will start on it then the minnows, shad, crayfish, etc. will eat them and the crappie will come. The only thing about using any type bait is that it can attract catfish then you have a catfish hole. Other than that the habitat will keep working when the other bait such as dog food, range cubes, etc. are long gone. I have heard and read that alfalfa bales of hay which was sunk was about the best though I have not tried it myself. Fish habitat place it where legal and they will come. The fish will thank you and you will be thankful later when you have that special honey hole to go to on those slow days.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes shipahoy41, "G" LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Best thing is to just place more crappie habitat. The more the better as micro organisms and algae will start on it then the minnows, shad, crayfish, etc. will eat them and the crappie will come. The only thing about using any type bait is that it can attract catfish then you have a catfish hole. Other than that the habitat will keep working when the other bait such as dog food, range cubes, etc. are long gone. I have heard and read that alfalfa bales of hay which was sunk was about the best though I have not tried it myself. Fish habitat place it where legal and they will come. The fish will thank you and you will be thankful later when you have that special honey hole to go to on those slow days.
    I agree with you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrat is wise. Scrat is good...... But if you want to expedite the process. Take a bale of alfalfa hay. Wrap it in chicken wire . Be prepares to tie two to three blocks on it to sink it. It is full of sugars I'm told that grows Algea fast. It has worked fer me.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year a bud brushed a place a bit , not a lot but some and then dropped alfalfa in several areas around it . So many different things came to play it wasn’t funny and in the real cold water months the crappie were there literally by the thousands . It’s a pay dock and it was elbow to elbow with everyone dragging crappie out for hours on end .
    Alfalfa Works In conjunction with cover for sure ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales