Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Noobie Fisherman here. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noobie Fisherman here. :D

Hey fellas:

Im new to the forum and to the world of fishing. I fished before but it was Saltwater in
    West Palm Beach, Fl and I was 18 years old. Looooooooooong time ago lol.

Anyways. I work for a local sporting goods store (I'm the gun guy / 8 years experience ) and this store has a fishing section. I have no clue about freshwater fishing or fishing overall. So it was bothering me because I wasn't able to help customers the way they deserve.

So to be open with you all here is the other reasons I want to get back to fishing:
    1. Enjoy a new hobby.
    2. Learn how to fish for self reliance purposes.
    3. The most important of all..........I have a 3 year old son. He is my only son and I want him to be self reliant, to enjoy the outdoors ( hunting and fishing and camping ) and to have something additional to enjoy with him and bond with.

I got his mom involved so I bought her the same crappie lures and jigs I bought. She is excited about it.

Im open minded fellas so share all the knowledge you can and want with me and help with this new phase in my life.
    Likes scrat, Brimfisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if crappie & panfish are what you are after, you've certainly come to the right place. There is a plethora of information here on this site. And all you have to do is ask. Welcome aboard!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes James_Black LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Read this and take it to heart. It's all good info, but focus on the "how to":

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"

This method works with ALL jigs. The slider is a good bait, but you can use others.

If you'd like more info, here's the best book ever written on jig fishing:

Charlie Brewer Sr. on Slider Fishn'

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Southeast Central Mississippi. Best way is to go and give it a try. Then just ask here on crappie.com any questions you have as they are a lot of nice folks here to help you. I also like to say that they are a lot of information on the beginners forum also. I will be looking forward to seeing your fishing reports and pictures in the future also. Make sure you have a good PFD for that young fisherman also.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/begin...ntoring-forum/
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard and enjoy this new group of people that are here to help.There is an enormous about of knowledge here from almost every aspect of fishing. Start the New Year with great expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! My advice is to let the search option (upper right corner) be your friend!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Central Florida. There's so much info here that I want to give you a different spin. Read all you can absorb and then stop for a little bit. There's no way anyone can read lots but it's all about retention and application to how YOU fish. As you go thru this process you will begin to see a lot of stuff that just doesn't apply to the way that you fish, and while good reading, doesn't help you much. Expensive gear isn't needed, and simple techniques will get you going fine. Learning their seasonal habits as to what depth and cover you might find them in, will help a lot. Have fun learning all this, and a word about the young one. When he goes with you, you might not fish at all. But that's good as one day that will change. You know something and he knows nothing and depends on you for everything. Make his a good experience and he will be at your side outdoors for the rest of your life. Have fun and keep us posted........Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes scrat, Redge, James_Black LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome and advise fellas.
    I'm really excited about this new journey and I am learning quite a bit.

I got everything but the rod and reel. Looking forward to get started :D

Post Thanks / Like

You can have the best gear, learn all the techniques, and get all the advice in the world on here. But none of it is worth two cents if you can't find the fish. To be successful you have to know how/where to find them. Get to know you're body of water like the back of your hand. If it's too big, break it down in sections. And probably the best advise I can think of for those just getting into this.....Keep It Simple and don't over think it.

I thought I knew all about crappie fishing..... until I joined CdC!! These guys know crappie fishing! They have opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Welcome to CdC and looking forward to watching your progress.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Likes James_Black, ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

find a local lake or pond that has for sure crappie in it and it will likely have other sunfish as well . be sure to take a dozen minnows and some worms . in your state I imagine the spawn occurs in the next month or so , like next month . the spawn is magical in lots of spots and the fish will just make your day with the way they bite if you can find them . this all said ask lots of locals lots of questions and filter it all out as best you can . set a small float on your line about 18 to 24 inches above your jig , minnow or worm and toss them around any cover close to the shore . cat tails, fallen trees, lilly pads, rocks, concrete etc . when the floats goes under set the hook and reel steadily ........and then...
    if your ever come to texas bring the lil one and I will put you on some fish ...or at least try ...
    and welcome to the forum , best one around for sure .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum, James_Black, ozarks ranger LIKED above post