Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Color

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Color

Okay I have got one for you that I am sure will generate some feedback--It is a question that me and several of my fishing buddies have discussed which always generates many opinions---Does the color of the jig head really make that much difference????
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    Okay I have got one for you that I am sure will generate some feedback--It is a question that me and several of my fishing buddies have discussed which always generates many opinions---Does the color of the jig head really make that much difference????
    I am still new to crappie fishing but I work with a man who fishes tournaments and he usually places. I made some jigs for him and he told me that he was fishin the other day with the black head,silver body, chartruse tail and catching fish. He got hung up and lost it. He then tied on the same jig only it had a purple head. No fish. Changed back to one with the black head and started catchin fish again! Said it don't always make a difference but when they are finicky and biting real light it can make all the difference! I went yesterday and started out with black head, black and pink, got some real light bites. changed to pink head orange and chartruse in the same brush pile and they slammed it! No need to set the hook, just lift up on the rod. Jig color made a tremendous difference.

Brian
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Some days I believe it makes a difference. I start with a variation of pink most days. Anyone have a favorit jig head color?

Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes in some waters it makes a difference, but alot of times I use a plain lead head on one pole and a painted on the other and don't see a difference at all. It boils down to what have confidence in.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    I have my best luck with floresent green or chartruse heads here on Ky. Lake. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

A few guys here on Lake Nimrod use the 1/8 oz. jigheads that slide up entirely into the tube jig and just the eye of the jig pops out the tube. Their jighead is not even visable and it doesn't affect their catch rate at all.
    I mainly use 1/4 oz. Bighead Jigs on my Midsouth Super Jigs and 3/16 oz Crappie Pro jigheads on my Yum Beavertails. These jigheads have such large surface area why not use different colors to try to improve the visibility of the bait. I mainly use Chartreuse and Red jigheads but it probably just boils down to the difference between light and dark color.
    I have definately noticed, in a lot of our off colored waters of our different lakes, that a lot of fishermen prefer nothing but Pink jigheads. My primary color to start out with is either Pink/Chartreuse or Pink/White tubes so I try a different head color.
    Don't ask me why but I prefer a Chartreuse head in the winter months when our water is a little bit clearer and a Red head during the Spring and Summer months when the water is more stained.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught 98% of not just crappies but all the fish that I've caught on jigs on a plain unpainted head. I've tried everything I can get my mits on and still haven't found anything that catches fish better. Its a natural color and doesn't chip, have paint in the eyes, or pop off glued on eyes. If I need to change color, the jig color is change enough to make a difference to the fish.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean Grizz, but it makes for a prettier lookin' tackle box!:D

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    I have caught 98% of not just crappies but all the fish that I've caught on jigs on a plain unpainted head. I've tried everything I can get my mits on and still haven't found anything that catches fish better. Its a natural color and doesn't chip, have paint in the eyes, or pop off glued on eyes. If I need to change color, the jig color is change enough to make a difference to the fish.
    I'm with Grizz on this one. I don't think I even own a colored jig head anymore. I just change my jig itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it boils down to the lake conditions which color to use. One lake that I fish is crystal clear, crappie spawn in 12-15 fow and chartruse is the go to color for 90% of the fisherman. Another lake is dark and stain most of the year due to inflows (2 rivers) that carry alot of sediment and junk which causes the water to be very stained and the colors go the opposite way, blacks, purples, reds, pinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast