Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor question

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor question

I am looking to purchase a new trolling motor can any one
    tell me about the minnkota auto pilot I will be using it to troll for crappie
    do they work good and do they give a lot of trouble.any info will be appreciated.
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my second one. I let the first go with a boat I sold. I really like it as I don't have to keep my foot on the pedal all the time. They are not perfect, especially when trolling very, very slow in wind but for the most part just point it in the direction you want to go, and let it go. I've never had any problems with them. It must be installed correctly tho. The shaft has to be within 5 deg of vertical to work properly.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Foxy Jig is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i can only speak for myself..have a year 2000 model minnkota 65lb. auto pilot..without question its the best thing ive ever bought for my boat

its very reliable and it flat out works right everytime..the only thing ive had done to is was 2 weeks ago, i had to get the compass recalibrated (knocked it sill chasing the bassmasters on lake wylie)

if mine dies tomorrow i will have gotten all my money's worth from it

have heard of ppl having some trouble with the wireless kind..mine has an 18ft cord connected to the contol pad..hope this helps
    dp

Post Thanks / Like

ABSOLUTELY without a doubt the best thing I have on my boat as well....I LOVE IT....

You can set it, and get up and walk around and do anything else you want...I just got mine, but have had not trouble at all....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2004 65 ap /us & we love it . Best motor we've ever owned .

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I love the auto pilot for trolling, as with all complicated electronics it may not be trouble free, but then cables break also. I have had my compass board replaced and had some intermittant power problems, but it would not be without it for trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I flat line troll out the back of my bass boat. I let the autopilot do the work while I just sit in the back and work the rods. I use to could only work 6 rods by myself comfortably before with my old motor but got the AP last year and can sit in the back of the boat all by myself and work 8 rods easily. It may not be the best motor for verticle fishing brushpiles but it does fine. It is a troller's dream. I also spider rig and it works great for that too. Again, very little attention needed for the motor as you fish. Anything that will make things simple when trolling is what I look for and the AP does the most in that job.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

slabtroller Guest

I would never go back to not having an autopilot and would also never go back to not having it remote control. I wear mine on the wrist just like a watch. My buddy uses his on a lanyard around his neck. Greatest thing since the fishing pole!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor info

thanks for all the info you guys provided i believe i will purchase one
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)