Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe A simple Solution, But..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe A simple Solution, But..

Not for me. The fuse in the truck that handles the trailer running lights keeps blowing. The turn signals and brake lights work just fine. When I replace the fuse the running lights work but then the next trip the fuse is blown again.
    I always unplug the lights before backing down,

How do I find and solve the problem? It just occured to me that I'm probably using the wrong board but oh well.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default look for this

Brown wire on trailor is tail lights and side running light wire. Look for nicks, or abrasions in this wire.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "hunter" ...

your post is fine, right here.
    I can't help you, personally, but I'm sure someone will step up and address your problem. They might need a little more info, though. Some vehicles are just a little "quirky" about trailer hookups.... Some things we might need to know: vehicle, type of wiring harness, is wiring harness grounded, what size fuse are you using, and any other "minor details" that you might think of.
    If you can't/don't get a satisfactory answer from the board ... you might have it checked out by a auto mechanic or trailer hitch installation shop. ...luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mice

Mice get in the trailer frame and sometimes chew thru wires or just take the insulation off. Might pay to just rewire the unit if it hasn't been done in awhile. You could disconnect each light from the harness and see if it is one specific light or the harness itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default forgot something...does your fuse blow immediately???

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Brown wire on trailor is tail lights and side running light wire. Look for nicks, or abrasions in this wire.
    I your vehicle has one of those cable converters (plug in) that converts from 2 bulb, to 1 bulb signal and brake also go bad. If you are wired directly into vehicle wiring, check brown wire here too....

Do you have a volt-ohm meter?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help so far.
    No, the fuse does not blow immediately. I change the fuse ,it works fine throughout that trip then the next time I hook up, no running lights.

I plan to check the brown wire for nicks but most of it is inside the trailer frame. How do I check it without pulling it out?
    I don't have any meters and if I did wouldn't really know what to do with it.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also check your ground wires. I've seen rigs that were grounded only through the hitch and that will work fine until you move the vehicle. You need a wire (normally white) grounded on the frame of the trailer, thru the connector, and then grounded to the frame of the truck.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default wire troubs

Intermittent troubles are hard to trace. I doubt if the wiring inside the channels is bad. check where it goes in and out the channels, any exposed wiring. Plug trailor into vehicle and jiggle wires at different locations to see if you can isolate a given area that my cause the problem. I usually dont do this, but without a meter, it is an option. It seems the fuse is protecting the wiring from any damage. Check your wiring to see if it is limber. If you are drawing too much current, the wires tend to stiffen. Also look for discoloration in the brown wire, like a darker brown area in the same wire.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a short circuit. Look for a bare wire somewhere where the wiring could rub against something. Start at the plug end and follow all the wires though the trailer and look closely at them especially where they turn or make a bend or change in direction. Check for loose wires that may have come loose from the lights. Don't forget to check the side lights under the trailer up near the front.

I had the same problem this fall and finally traced it to a wire that can loose from the side light and was just hanging down about 4". When I was moving the wire would be blown up against the metal trailer and short out the fuse. It was hard to find until I got a flash light and in the dark I traced all the wires and found the loose dangling wire.

Pick a wire at the plug and then note it's color coding. Follow that wire. Say pick a brown wire. Then once you trace that wire pick the next color wire and trace that wire though the trailer. Then do the same thing with the other colored wires.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Not for me. The fuse in the truck that handles the trailer running lights keeps blowing. The turn signals and brake lights work just fine. When I replace the fuse the running lights work but then the next trip the fuse is blown again.

How do I find and solve the problem? It just occured to me that I'm probably using the wrong board but oh well.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The wiring inside the trailer should have some play in it. You can tug on it where its exposed and then look at that area to see if there are any cuts or nicks or rubbing of the insulation. If you find a nice try to pull the wire out far enough to put some electrical tape over the bad spot. If you can't do this then you may have to rewire the trailer in that spot. Say for example that the wire is broken inside the metal channel and you can't get to it. You would have to pull the wires out and fish new wires back though the trailer and reconnect them. You need a fish tape to do that job. You can get them at Home Depot or Builders Square or Lowes hardware stores in the electrical dept. But you may just take the boat to a dealer and ask them where to get it fixed. They could fix it for you or recommend an electrican to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter

Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast