Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 or 16

Post Thanks / Like

Default 14 or 16

Ok I know this probably has been talked about multiple times, but I'm going to ask again. I am going to upgrade some of my long poles, and am unsure as to whether to get 14 or 16'? I currently use 12' to push minners and jigs, but am wanting to buy 3-4 new poles. I will use up to 2 ounce on the same pole at times. I mainly fish 5-15' deep if that matters.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 14' rods for pushing jigs/cranks (1/2oz - 1.5oz weights) .... along with a couple of shorter (6-10') rods at times. I find the 14' rods adequate to spread out my baits, in conjunction with the shorter rods, and find them reasonably easy to deal with. I am a novice at "pushing" and my TM is only 12v 42# thrust, so I'm limited in speed & duration ... but, make do with what I have & have been successful in catching fish with them.
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

14s all the way.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

14’s are best all around length for the average fisherman especially if you fish alone on a regular basis.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes crp4570, "G", Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 14"s,but wish I had 16's.When there deep I don't think it really matters,but shallow and the 16fters will make a difference

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best all around are the 14 ft southern crappie heavy models that will easily handle 3 oz of weight
    Likes KnightShadow10, Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinkermaker View Post
    Best all around are the 14 ft southern crappie heavy models that will easily handle 3 oz of weight
    I have the southern 14ft regular rods,there tough as nails and a good pole.Only complaint I have are the tips are to fast,spiderriging when it's windy you get a lot of unwanted tip action.Ive heard carbon Kevlar rods will have fast tips,that's probably the reason why.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I made the same switch a while back from 12’ to 14’. I have never looked back. Switched all my spider poles to 14’ too. I have the southern rods as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I see that most people are saying the 14, now why are you saying 14 over 16? I can see that the longer the pole is, the more cumbersome it can be, but also if 14 is better than 12, why isn't a 16 better than 14? Is it that a 16 is just really too long to get a fish in the boat? For those who use 16, is the reward great enough to overlook some of the downfalls?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re going to get 4 poles, I’d recommend you get two of each. I agree with the others as the 14’ are all around best. Crappie Commander makes a 14’ two piece rod that makes it much easier to put together and haul around. The 16’s can really pay off though if the fish are in shallow water. That extra 2’ away from the boat can make all the difference when the fish are shallow. Once you start using the the longer poles, you’ll soon realize that they’re not any more difficult to fish with than the 12’s or 14’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast