HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2 good poles? Southern Crappie 9 or 10 footers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 good poles? Southern Crappie 9 or 10 footers?

I'm looking to buy two good panfish poles. Some of you many have seen my videos. I use handline and catfish jug, but sometimes a good long pole is the way to go with no wind or current in clear water, and people seem to want to see me rod and reel fish on my YouTube channel more and more.

To give you an idea of the kind of fishing, this was my latest trip:

I'm thinking of Southern Crappie Rods either 9 or 10 foot poles. For me strength and toughness is the most important thing. As you can see I fish with an old fiberglass 6/7 wt fly rod. Good strong tough rod, but it's old, and I don't fill like rebuilding it.

What do you fellas think?
    Likes S10CHEVY, Fish on Line LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Folks will suggest B&M as replacement parts are always there. I like Waholi Graphite Rods better. Your spinning rod that had the Guide fall off seems to had a major problem --- the Epoxy that should hold it in place soaks through the thread wrappings and bonds to the rod Blank and should last Years. Building Custom Rods, I know the Rod is only as good as what goes into making it. That is the reason that Confidence in the rod itself helps catch Fish. That is also why you Trust that old Fly Rod. I recently had the chance to take an old Bamboo Rod that belonged to a friends wifes Father and Restore it where it was better than new. The Original rod had Varnish coating that also was what soaked the wrappings on the Guides. Varnish breaks down over time, the wrappings come loose and the Guides fall off. Taking the Varnish off, then using Epoxy on the threads for the guides, then the Rod Received one Coat of Clear Uraithane like used on Auto Finishes..... the Handle then Received a coat of Cork Sealer that will Prevent Deterioration of the Cork.... Places like Janns Netcraft carries components for Rod building.... Building from scratch can be Costly but taking something good already and spending a little time with it --- will make it better and restore the Confidence you already have in your Equipment
    Thanks funbun thanked you for this post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Southern Crappie Rods in 6-16'. I love the 6-10 foot models for longlining because they have cork handles(above 10' have EVA handles) and are extremely sensitive with all the backbone you would want . They are tough as nails but if you should break a tip, Ed's tips are much cheaper than other brands.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes funbun LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The southern crappie rods wilk work for what you want
    Likes funbun, M R Dux LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 2 122T rods to try out as I want to see how the Kevlar carbon rods work out with all the kudos to Southern Crappie Rods by various members. I don’t use anything over 12’ long and I do a lot of cranking and pushing when the water temp hits 50-55 and look forward to using these and trying out.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes M R Dux, funbun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thx, guys. I bought 2 SCR92 rods. I figure the 9 footers are mostly hand held, will give me slightly better reach than my current fly rod, and has a fighting butt/handle. They should fit what I do well. I have pair of Okuma Avenger baitrunner spinning reel in sizes 20 and 40.

I always run 8 lbs line since I do a lot of dragging, similar to what steelhead fishermen call boondogging. You let out enough line to tickle the river bottom. Since there is a much higher chance of getting hung, I go with a little heavier line, and I'm able to pull free of most snags. I'm amazed that more steelhead who use spinning gear don't use heavy crappie rods. Steelhead fishermen will catch a 25 lbs fish on 8 lbs line all the time.
    Likes M R Dux LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I'm looking to buy two good panfish poles. Some of you many have seen my videos. I use handline and catfish jug, but sometimes a good long pole is the way to go with no wind or current in clear water, and people seem to want to see me rod and reel fish on my YouTube channel more and more.

To give you an idea of the kind of fishing, this was my latest trip:

I'm thinking of Southern Crappie Rods either 9 or 10 foot poles. For me strength and toughness is the most important thing. As you can see I fish with an old fiberglass 6/7 wt fly rod. Good strong tough rod, but it's old, and I don't fill like rebuilding it.

What do you fellas think?
    Get you some B&M ten foot Richard Williams models. A little expensive but well worth the money. I’m still using a couple that I bought eight years ago. Bought some twelve footers and love them even more. They’re heavier than BGJP’s.
    Thanks funbun thanked you for this post