Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Flying Crappie

Yesterday I was at my usual spot which has had a good bit of preassure I wasn't catching many but fish were very active. I noticed big crappie jumping 2 feet out of the water. I was wondering if any any of you know what all that jumping in the air is about?
    thanks
    fin

Post Thanks / Like

I have only seen one crappie jump out of the water in my whole life!!. I was bass fishing (before I learned better) and pitched a worm over a cypress knee. When I drug it over, a 2 lbs crappie jumped up and grabbed it.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen a jumping crappie............

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't know...he is calling all his girlfriends over to his pad! Crappie gleefully jump out of the water when Spring arrives. I bet it was a male. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I would think most likly to escape a preditor . Where I live we often see fish ( not necicarily crappie) swimming wildly in any direction to escape nothern, bass or muskie. I have seen fish swim up on shore ( not on purpose) to escape preditors.
    Just my thoughts
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken
    I would think most likly to escape a preditor . Where I live we often see fish ( not necicarily crappie) swimming wildly in any direction to escape nothern, bass or muskie. I have seen fish swim up on shore ( not on purpose) to escape preditors.
    Just my thoughts
    Ken
    I have seen very large bream do that. I saw one jump about a foot out of the water one time and figured something was chasing it. I pitched a devils horse about 10 ft where I saw it. I don't know what hit it, but it was big. It just sucked my lure down. I chased it for a while with my TM, but, when it had enough it just took off and broke my 12 lbs line.
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a crappie jump out of water. Maybe is was just that happy about spawning time! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken
    Just my thoughts
    Ken
    Its a shallow brake and we have gators, muskrat ,beaver big channel cat, gar, an so on. were a couple of weks in front of the spawn. Everything is speeding up.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Have rarely seen crappie jump out of the water and that is like when you are fishing very shallow and set the hook too hard, forgetting you were fishing shallow! More likely a carp or sheephead (drum). They always jump around here, but usually not until the water warms up a bit.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I aint never seen a crappie jump but I have seen 'em tearing shad up splashing all over the surface. Seen that not too long ago.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast