HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inflatable PFD

Post Thanks / Like

Default inflatable PFD

Which one do I need? Manual or Automatic. After reading so many stories about folks falling overboard, I think its time I get one. The old vest type is too hot in south Alabama.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one from Academy that is both manual and auto. Onyx 24. My thinking is leave the bobbin in ( the auto part) when on my boat. Then when in the kayak, removing the bobbin to make it manual. It’s going to get wet in the kayak, and inflate in auto mode.

Post Thanks / Like

I whent with the automatic. If you get knocked out you can't pull the tag. Also you get what you pay for with them. You need the most expensive one but don't go with the cheapest ether. I whent with the mustang around ($150 )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes jaxsprat, firefighterhm15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Automatic. Cabelas usually runs a sale right now and you can get their 3500 series for around 79 bucks (normally 159 or 169). Watch for deals as they run it a couple of times per year.

Keep in mind that some states require you to always wear an inflatable for it to count as a life jacket. They are getting less and less after the federal regulations changed and the USCG see's them now as a cat I or II vest (should say it on the label) but there are still states that require you to wear it for it to count.

We own 10 of the 3500 series automatics. They also have a manual pull tab. I have NEVER had one of them discharge on accident. Not in a storage compartment or while wearing it. You will hear stories from others that have had it happen. In the winter, I store mine in a storage container. The rest of the time (when not on the water) they sit in a storage compartment in my boat.

In tournaments, I am required to wear one when my big motor is above idle. We find that they are so comfortable, we wear them all the time. I require all of my passengers to wear one because of this and when the spring or winter comes and we are still fishing, we wear them all the time. No questions. Water is too cold to do much without one on and decks are slick. Only takes a second to go overboard.

Check the sales, you can find great deals this time of year
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes PawPaw Gene LIKED above post
    Thanks Brimfisher thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure to keep the re-arm system updated. doesn't cost so much to refresh it annually or bi-annually. You can tell when the pellet is getting smaller

Post Thanks / Like

Get one with HIT technology. If you fish in the rain it is worth it. Rain nor humidity will set it off. It takes being submerged under 4 inches of water for it to inflate.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes jaxsprat LIKED above post
    Thanks Ralo79 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas just had their sale on them. I picked up 2 of them at 50% off.
    2017 MiCDC fall crappie guide of the year (FCGOTY)
    Member: “Michigan chapter of Team Overalls
    Haulin Ash Fishing Rocks-"D"
    Caution: If we fish together, you may be on YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrostatic automatic is what you want. The dissolvable pill type autos will go off when you least expect it. Manual does you no good if you hit your unconscious say from hitting your head on the way out.
    Likes jaxsprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, I will check with Cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked @ Cabelas, They only offer the 2500. I cant find the 3500 anywhere. Have they been discontinued?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast