Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gas(no not that kind)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas(no not that kind)

I was wondering how long gas stays good? I have not used my boat in 4 months....is it still good? If it is not good, what should I do with it? Thanks for any help.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you add Stabil to the gas when you filled up? If not, dump it and put fresh gas in. I always treat the fresh gas with stabil. That way if I let it sit for a long period of time, it stays fresh. Old gas will seperate from the alcohol based octane booster and the alcohol floats on top of the gas then draws moisture into the fuel mix. That will screw up you carboration system.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with speckhunter if you didn't add some kind of treatment you will need to pump it out. I use the Merc fuel system treatment and stabilizer addative and my 90 sat since October and it cranked right up and after warm up ran great. I have heard same experiences with Stabil. I just use the Merc stuff since the dealer recommended it. He said it treat the system and stabilizes the fuel system. I don't know if Stabil does the same or if it just stabilizes the gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Your motor carburator or fuel injection?
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I stored my boat for 5 months and my motor ran fine when I took the boat out the first time. Reallt depends if it was stored indoors/outdoors and your climate.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth
    Your motor carburator or fuel injection?
    I think it is carburator.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel injection will be affected less by older gas as the system is air tight. Carburators allow the gas to evaporate to atomsphere and leave the gelling agents in there. Always good to run the gas out of a carburated motor when winterizing.

As far as the tank goes. You should be all right to use if you put a good mix of new gas with it.

Most people do recommend stabilizers if you store for over three months.

My boat hits the water at least twice a month. Even in winter.
    Standing in the Gap